Reason you wont be protesting on the 10th December

Maybe if the likes of certain Irish musicians and businessmen who constantly like to waffle on about "how great it is to be Irish" and "the Irish people bailed out Ireland" paid their taxes here in Ireland then things might be a tad better for us all.

Im sick and tired of 1 Irish musician who allways pops up at these high profile media events and says how great it is to be Irish.

If you are "so proud to be Irish" then why dont you and your band mates pay your taxes here in this country.

But as is usual Mr Enda Kenny is more than happy to be photographed with him at these events.
My stomach churns when I see the 2 of them standing side by side together smiling for the cameras.:mad:
You do know that the artists exemption is capped at the first €250'000 of earnings, right?
U2 all live here and pay their taxes here. I presume you are talking about Bono. I do agree that's he's annoying (and bombastic etc.) but we are all allowed to be that.

I Can't say that I feel intellectually superior to people on AAM!

There are some who can be influenced by strong people. There are others who don't care one way or the other.

We live in a democracy.

We can all voice our opinions. Whether we agree with them or not is irrevelant.

I would sincerely love to pay less taxes. I am a single earner.

This might be achieved by everybody paying a share of some expenses - for example water - to lessen the burden on those of us who pay taxes. it would be great to see a sharing of the tax burden. I can't recall who said it above but I agree totally: I really don't wat to pay for the neighbour who runs the tap indiscriminately! I am totally of the opinion that people should pay per use.

At the end of the day, we all have our agendas.

Marion
I'd like to see the state waste less tax payers money. We have the worst value for money health service in the OECD. That means we waste billions a year.
The money we waste paying 2000 unnecessary staff in Irish Water (and by extension the other thousands of unnecessary staff in other public bodies) could be used to fix our homelessness crisis or have proper educational facilities or more teachers or more Gardaí etc.. I find is incredible that a poster thinks wasting money on thousands of pointless jobs is a virtue while we have people on trollies in our hospitals. I find it incredible that the Brethren who run our Unions are happy to perpetuate such waste, waste which damages our country and leaves so many people behind. Then again the poor and the vulnerable and those who really need help can't pay their dues so they are of no interest to Unions.

I'd like to see a march protesting against the loony left and the Unions that have done so much damage to this country and the incompetence that the state shows over and over again when spending our money. You could throw in the bankers and developers (one of whom is a TD) as well but they were only part of the problem.
I'd protest not because I pay so much tax but because it is so badly spent, so badly used and directed. I'd protest against the criminal incompetence which causes so much suffering for so many people... but there will be no march; those who share my views are, like me, too busy working and paying their taxes.

You do know that the artists exemption is capped at the first €250'000 of earnings, right?
U2 all live here and pay their taxes here. I presume you are talking about Bono. I do agree that's he's annoying (and bombastic etc.) but we are all allowed to be that.

Joan Burton attacks Bono and U2 for moving their business to Holland.

Social Protection Minister Joan Burton singled out U2 in a speech during which she stated it was "not acceptable" that some companies were not paying their fair share of taxes to help pay for essential public services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bono-u2-tax-affairs-in-line-with-irish-policy-29598593.html

She wont actually do anyting to go after all these people who wont pay their taxes here in Ireland.
But she was happy to have money taken away from the disabled in Ireland and the likes of medical cards taken from kids with Cancer and Leukemia

And then Mr Enda Kenny can stand beside Bono at various media events talking to the public about about Ireland and "Being Irish" and "Paying your way" and then smile along with him for the cameras.

Its a rather funny and sickening auld world,isnt it.

Joan Burton attacks Bono and U2 for moving their business to Holland.

Social Protection Minister Joan Burton singled out U2 in a speech during which she stated it was "not acceptable" that some companies were not paying their fair share of taxes to help pay for essential public services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bono-u2-tax-affairs-in-line-with-irish-policy-29598593.html

She wont actually do anyting to go after all these people who wont pay their taxes here in Ireland.
But she was happy to have money taken away from the disabled in Ireland and the likes of medical cards taken from kids with Cancer and Leukemia

And then Mr Enda Kenny can stand beside Bono at various media events talking to the public about about Ireland and "Being Irish" and "Paying your way" and then smile along with him for the cameras.

Its a rather funny and sickening auld world,isnt it.
U2 moved their music publishing business to Holland, they still pay their income tax here.
I’m not a big fan of systemic tax avoidance but if you’re going to criticise them then get the facts straight. I do agree that Bono can be hard to listen to.

As for Joan Burton criticising people for moving their companies to avoid tax where they live and/or conduct their business well, considering how many US companies are here doing exactly the same thing, she’s very hypocritical really, isn’t she?
Irish people who live in other countries pay taxes in those countries just as people from other countries who live here pay their taxes here.

U2 moved their music publishing business to Holland, they still pay their income tax here.
I’m not a big fan of systemic tax avoidance but if you’re are going to criticise them then get the facts straight. I do agree that Bono can be hard to listen to.

As for Joan Burton criticising people for moving their companies to avoid tax where they live and/or conduct their business well, considering how many US companies are here doing exactly the same thing, she’s very hypocritical really, isn’t she?
Irish people who live in other countries pay taxes in those countries just as people from other countries who live here pay their taxes here.

So if Bono is so proud to be Irish then why wont he pay all of his taxes here??
Why did he move the company over to Holland to avoid taxes here??

Sorry,but Bono doesnt represent me or my family when he stands up at these media events and beside Enda Kenny and lord it over the public that he is "Proud to be Irish paying your way" and that "The Irish People bailed out Ireland".

I think that Bono is a very condescending person in what he talks about.I actually cannot stand him for this very reason.
Enda Kenny has some cheek too to allow Bono to stand with him and give all these "Irish" speeches and tell us all about paying our way.

So if Bono is so proud to be Irish then why wont he pay all of his taxes here??
Why did he move the company over to Holland to avoid taxes here??

Sorry,but Bono doesnt represent me or my family when he stands up at these media events and beside Enda Kenny and lord it over the public that he is "Proud to be Irish paying your way" and that "The Irish People bailed out Ireland.

I think that Bono is a very condescending person in what he talks about.I actually cannot stand him for this very reason.
Enda Kenny has some cheek too to allow Bono to stand with him and give all these "Irish" speeches and tell us all all about paying our way.

1. It's cheaper to pay tax elsewhere.(It's not rocket science, you know).
2. Bono never said he represented anybody else other than himself and U2
3. I reckon Bono is shivering in his boots at your admonition.
4. Take the matter up with Enda. I'm sure he will be delighted to reply to you.

Sorry I went off topic,so I will leave Bono to enjoy his tax avoiding mega rich status in peace and quiet now.

Back to the water protests,I think Enda and Joan have something else to worry about in the form of a large protest on Wednesday outside the Dail.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...ed-up-why-i-m-marching-on-wednesday-1.2029940

Good story. But what does it have to do with Water Charges?

"That’s why I’ll be marching in Dublin this Wednesday, December 10th. I’ll be marching for my future, for the future of the generations to come, and for the future of my country."

Do people even know what the march is about? Did they not even go to the bother of informing themselves of what this particular protest concerns? Or do they even care? Are they just marching on their own agenda for their 15 minutes of fame? The mind boggles!

Marion

The reason I won't be marching on Wednesday is that it would be hypocritical of me to do so having already returned my details to Irish Water :D.

Other reasons include Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger, Richard Boyd-Barrett, the Gerry Adams cult devotees, aka Sinn Fein.

Ours is a broken system, riddled with cronyism, tolerance for mediocrity, waste, tribal loyalism, post-colonialism immaturity, but it's one I would choose to retain every time, over the car crash that would ensure if any of the above had their hands on the reins of Government.

TarfHead,
Exactly right. Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger, People Before Profit and SF would organise a march against rainfall if they could figure out a way to blame the Government for it. Political opportunists the lot.

the reason i won't be marching on wednesday is that it would be hypocritical of me to do so having already returned my details to irish water :d.

Other reasons include paul murphy, ruth coppinger, richard boyd-barrett, the gerry adams cult devotees, aka sinn fein.

Ours is a broken system, riddled with cronyism, tolerance for mediocrity, waste, tribal loyalism, post-colonialism immaturity, but it's one i would choose to retain every time, over the car crash that would ensure if any of the above had their hands on the reins of government.
:D Brilliant!

The reason I won't be marching on Wednesday is that it would be hypocritical of me to do so having already returned my details to Irish Water :D.

Other reasons include Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger, Richard Boyd-Barrett, the Gerry Adams cult devotees, aka Sinn Fein.

Ours is a broken system, riddled with cronyism, tolerance for mediocrity, waste, tribal loyalism, post-colonialism immaturity, but it's one I would choose to retain every time, over the car crash that would ensure if any of the above had their hands on the reins of Government.

Well said.

Not everyone who returned a completed form will pay. Some will have felt cowed at the time but feel emboldened or angry now.
I'm going (isn't it an assembly rather than a march?) despite the above. I've no time for any of them but I'm done with this arrogant Government and would like to see it fall.
Indeed, but it is not an either-or situation. An election will most likely see a more chastened centre-right government returned.

Indeed, but it is not an either-or situation. An election will most likely see a more chastened centre-right government returned.
FG is slightly centre-right. Every other party in the country is to the left of centre. How will we end up with a centre-right government?

I would view FG, FF & Reform Alliance as centre-right. My point is that the next government will likely be FG/FF+ rather some lefty hotchpotch.

I would view FG, FF & Reform Alliance as centre-right. My point is that the next government will likely be FG/FF+ rather some lefty hotchpotch.

I'd hate to see what you call left-wing if you consider FF centre-right!
We have the most progressive income taxation in the developed world and the highest proportion of households on welfare in Europe (with amongst the highest welfare rates in the world). That's hardly the legacy of decades of right-wing governments.

The polls indicate that LAB will be wiped out at the next election, with a lot of the people who voted for them in 2011 switching to SF and Independents. The people who voted for them were swayed by Gilmore's bluster and empty promises and will likely be swayed by someone else telling them what they want to hear. After a month or two, the status quo will assert itself and the same policies will be followed.

The next Government will feature either Fine Gael or Sinn Fein. Either way, it will be dependent on the support of a disparate group of Independents with disparate agendas, and will be unlikely to last a full term.

If Sinn Fein are in Government, based on a Dail representation of 40 or so seats, they'll be able to maintain their numbers. I can't see individuals jumping ship in the way the current Government 'lost' Lucinda Creighton, Roisin Shortall, Denis Naughten, Tommy Broughan, Terence Flanagan, etc.

I'd hate to see what you call left-wing if you consider FF centre-right!
Last try; left-right is a bit simplistic anyway but relatively speaking I would place FG rightmost on a left-to-right line of Irish politics, with the Reform Alliance and FF just inside that. Unfortunately, some mix of those is the best I can hope for.
The next Government will feature either Fine Gael or Sinn Fein. Either way, it will be dependent on the support of a disparate group of Independents with disparate agendas, and will be unlikely to last a full term.
Maybe you're right but I don't think so; make a FG/FF+ coalition a 1/2 shot.

Last try; left-right is a bit simplistic anyway but relatively speaking I would place FG rightmost on a left-to-right line of Irish politics, with the Reform Alliance and FF just inside that.
Last try at what?
FG are centre(ish) with conservative(ish) social policies and centralist/left-wing economic policies. The rest rage to the left of them but we have no pro-business, pro-work parties in this country. They all believe in big government and high taxes.

Back