Re-entering workforce after business failure

Markjbloggs

Need some advice please - I quit my job in high tech industry about 5 years ago (at the start of the downturn) to open my own business. Up till now, it has been reasonably successful and fulfilling, but recently has taken a turn for the worse, so that I do not now see a long-term future in it, neither financially nor in terms of personal growth.

What steps do I need to take to re-enter paid employment? Apart from everything else, I forsee two major issues -

1. I left my last job on poor terms, so I do not expect a good reference from them.
2. I have any professional qualifications in my current line of business.

thx for any advice

M

Sorry to here that, what posibility do you have of selling the business, or how about joining or merging with another IT firm and bringing your client base with you?

Considering you have been self employed for 5 years I cant really see anyone looking for a 5 year old reference from your previous employer

contemporary said:
Sorry to here that, what posibility do you have of selling the business, or how about joining or merging with another IT firm and bringing your client base with you?

Considering you have been self employed for 5 years I cant really see anyone looking for a 5 year old reference from your previous employer

No need to be sorry, it was something I wanted to do and the opportunity presented itself for me to do it, so c'est la vie!! Unfortunately, I completely left the tech industry, so I do not have a client base. Also, my previous skills are extremely rusty, and in any case, are obsolete.

M

You say you left your last job on poor terms. Find out what the structure there is like now? There may be people in management positions who were on the same level as you were then, who may be willing to act as referees.

Structure your resume to bring out the many positive attributes related to the fact that you were in business on your own. If you have any (especially high profile) clients, use them as referees.

During interview try not to over-emphasise loss of business as being the reason for seeking employment. There could also the loneliness factor, and a preference for teamwork scenarios.

Speaking from experience.................although I left employer on good terms.

Mark...first question is what do you want to do? What type of job are you after?

Second question is what IT skills did/do you have?
What line of business have you been in for the past five years?

I would have thought that anyone with the guts to leave a job and setup a business, successful or not, would be a major plus for any prospective employer. It shows you are flexible, open to change, self-motivated and can shoulder quite a bit of responsibility. Not forgetting other, non-technical, skills gained while running a business such as financial, marketing etc .... Emphasise these in your CV. Maybe aim for a management position ?

Back