Ratio of administrators to consultants in the HSE is 6.2 to 1

Just as paper doesn't refuse ink doctors don't refuse money so if a nurse goes to their GP and looks for a sick cert they are going to get one, whether they need it or not. The real question is why nurses take so much sick leave. It doesn't matter whether it's certified or not. The notion that all certified sick leave is legitimate is nonsense. Doctors don't want to lose customers and even if they are completely ethical about giving out certs they still base their diagnosis on what the patient tells then. It isn't Star Trek, they don't have a Tricorder.

Even if there was no messing the in-built inefficiency and duplication within the system would still mean there would be gross inefficiency and waste.

Good Man! Purple. I didn't know you had such an insight to how general practitioners behave. And doctors being intimidated by nurses seeking sick certs - Is this a new type of bullying? I'd love to see any hospital management refusing a sick note signed by a GP for any member of staff. It's all about the litigation, you know! By the way, what's your source? I'm sure hospital management will be interested.

When I worked there, we had access to free flu, pneumonia (asthma sufferer) and hep B vaccines. If any HSE employees goes sick with any the these illnesses, they should be fired, unless there is some compelling reason why they cannot avail of the vaccine.

It is a vicious circle the HSE is driving people into private Health insurance some of these policies cover up to 12 Doctor visits a year.So no charge.If people are paying for a doctors cert they may take enough days to cover the cost make it worth there time and money. If people go to a doctor just to get a day off they may over do there fake Illness to make sure the get a cert and the doctor giving them the week off Instead of a day.Where I work we done away with the Doctors sick cert a long time ago. We have no problem with absenteeism. Company would be looking for underline reasons if people were taking time off and fixing the problem. Good Management. There is nothing stopping people sending in certs if they want .We can look for a return to work cert if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past purple may have known how .Then again he may not

I expect the above will make it to the grammatical forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Not great replies Purple. Source not great either. The GP who lost a job for refusing to give out sick certs without seeing the patient has a water-tight and just case against her former employer. Doctors are as dishonest as everybody else - Really? If you can't trust a medical doctor, then who can you trust? Certs being a waste of time - I think not.

When I worked there, we had access to free flu, pneumonia (asthma sufferer) and hep B vaccines. If any HSE employees goes sick with any the these illnesses, they should be fired, unless there is some compelling reason why they cannot avail of the vaccine.

Come on Mathepac! You can do better than this and you know it. Let's take the flu injections over the past three years. The medics got the strain of the virus wrong based on their predicting (or guessing) for flu in the northern hemisphere. Consequently, the flu prevention injections received in Ireland were as unhelpful and useless as Purple anti trades unions posts.

Not great replies Purple. Source not great either. The GP who lost a job for refusing to give out sick certs without seeing the patient has a water-tight and just case against her former employer. Doctors are as dishonest as everybody else - Really? If you can't trust a medical doctor, then who can you trust? Certs being a waste of time - I think not.
A doctor suing a doctor will find it very hard to get work again. Do you really think doctors are better than the rest of us? Why, because they got more points in the leaving cert? Don't be do naive; they are just people, no more or less honest then the next person. We used to think about Priests like that. Have we learned nothing?
I didn't say Cert's were a waste of time but if you think there are doctors not giving out bogus certs to make extra money, keep their customers on-side or because their customer told them porkies and they don't want to call them a liar then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Come on Mathepac! You can do better than this and you know it. Let's take the flu injections over the past three years. The medics got the strain of the virus wrong based on their predicting (or guessing) for flu in the northern hemisphere. Consequently, the flu prevention injections received in Ireland were as unhelpful and useless as Purple anti trades unions posts.
That was a well documented case. Where the vaccine works Mathepac's point holds true.

And yes, I am anti Trade Union and any other vested interest groups which damage this country and people. In the case of Health Sector Unions their actions have stymied reforms which could have saved thousands of lives and reduced the suffering of tens of thousands. In my opinion their leaders have blood on their hands.

I'd love to see one of the large hospitals adopt a Lean program, unencumbered by demarcation or other restrictive work practices which are the lifeblood of Unions. They would need a JCB to get rid of all the unnecessary staff.

I was in CUH 3 years ago in intensive care with a family member and they were kicking off such a programme. Lots of people around with clipboards measuring and timing things. Having seen Lean being badly implemented in a couple of large organisations I'm skeptical about it to be honest but as you rightly say, until the ability to make real change is there it doesn't matter what they do or how they structure a change process, vested interests will get in the way. Unfortunately, some of that change will require investment, digitizing records is one example of what could and should be done.

I was in CUH 3 years ago in intensive care with a family member and they were kicking off such a programme. Lots of people around with clipboards measuring and timing things. Having seen Lean being badly implemented in a couple of large organisations I'm skeptical about it to be honest but as you rightly say, until the ability to make real change is there it doesn't matter what they do or how they structure a change process, vested interests will get in the way. Unfortunately, some of that change will require investment, digitizing records is one example of what could and should be done.
Yes, it only works if you can reallocate some people and get rid of others but keep staff employed is more important than keeping patients alive. At a macro level when funds are being allocated that is the outcome of squandering precious public money.

Meanwhile back in the real world the INMO/HSE talks in the WRC have broken down with notice of industrial action likely shortly.
It also appears likely that consultant pay will rise after the HSE dropped their High Court appeal against compensation awards to two consultants over failure to pay them agreed levels of salary 8 years ago - basically a breach of contract , obviously the Irish Hospital Consultants Association welcomed this as if this compensation is rolled out for all it's members the payroll cost will be at least €350 million or a worst case scenario of €700 million.
A court case is also in the pipeline with the IMO challenging the abolition of the €3000 living out allowance for junior doctors.

Last edited:
Meanwhile back in the real world the INMO/HSE talks in the WRC have broken down with notice of industrial action shortly.
It also appears likely that consultant pay will rise after the HSE dropped their High Court appeal against compensation awards to two consultants over failure to pay them agreed levels of salary 8 years ago - basically a breach of contract , obviously the Irish Hospital Consultants Association welcomed this as if this compensation is rolled out for all it's members the payroll cost will be at least €350 million or a worst case scenario of €700 million.
A court case is also in the pipeline with the IMO challenging the abolition of the €3000 living out allowance for junior doctors.
Hundreds of millions less to spend on sick people. Isn't it great to see the so called Healthcare "Professionals" have their priorities straight. I presume they are now going to stop going on radio and TV and pretending that they are interested in patient care.

Mo money, mo money...and zero reform.
The Irish health service as it is and as it always will be.

Hundreds of millions less to spend on sick people. Isn't it great to see the so called Healthcare "Professionals" have their priorities straight. I presume they are now going to stop going on radio and TV and pretending that they are interested in patient care.
Au contraire Purple, au contraire.
The Head of the Consultants Assoc was on Morning Ireland earlier saying that by paying Consultants what they are owed would mean savings for the HSE! Apparently so many Consultants were upset at the breach of contract that they upped and left and the HSE has had to employ temp Consultants at a cost of 100m per annum.
Plus the pay is so bad that its causing hundreds of vacancies so this back pay will help solve that to a small degree.

I thought we had the best paid Consultants in the world?

Au contraire Purple, au contraire.
The Head of the Consultants Assoc was on Morning Ireland earlier saying that by paying Consultants what they are owed would mean savings for the HSE! Apparently so many Consultants were upset at the breach of contract that they upped and left and the HSE has had to employ temp Consultants at a cost of 100m per annum.
Plus the pay is so bad that its causing hundreds of vacancies so this back pay will help solve that to a small degree.

I thought we had the best paid Consultants in the world?
I take it all back; their motivation for suing the government for hundreds of millions of Euro in pay rises was completely selfless. In answer to "Will someone please think about the children?!" the answer is "Yes, they are". Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Back