Rates, how do you get on the radar?

bond-007

If you start up a business in a previously unused as business premises (full PP obtained etc) how long is it before you are on the radar for rates?

I believe they eventually get to you, but you can be out of the loop for years. Don't call them, they will call you, and I don't believe they bill you retrospectivly. Good luck with the business & staying under the radar.

"Good luck with the business & staying under the radar."

Oh and don't pay any tax either. Such crap advice.

Rates will be due from date of operation. Its up to OP to notify. Anyway vendor/lessor will notify rates authority of change in ownership so that they carry no liability. Why should OP not pay rates due?

mf

:rolleyes: Good advice, Bluespud! Nice way to start out in a business, next it will be asking how to avoid PRSI, VAT, minimum wage, work permits......

Now, now. I was just asking what the procedure is. Not planning on avoiding paying. If you already own the premises as part of your residence how does one go about getting a rating valuation?

To be fair, Bond was just asking what puts you in, not looking for ways out of it. I have found that even when the local authority have been notified it can take ages for them to get aorund so it would be important to allow for that. If the premises is not already rated, say part of home, I would expect that it would be up to you to contact the local authority. Bear in mind, separately, that if this is your PPR, then a rateing clearly put that part of premises on a non-ppr basis and any future disposal would possibly have CGT implications.

:rolleyes: Good advice, Bluespud! Nice way to start out in a business, next it will be asking how to avoid PRSI, VAT, minimum wage, work permits......

I note you said avoid and not evade, which is correct!

I know of one business permises that hasnt been rated for 5 years

Keepin' under the radar boss............

I note you said avoid and not evade, which is correct!

Keepin' under the radar boss............

exactly business is hard enough without going to look for more overheads to fork out, the valution office did a large revaultion last year, i'd say you might stay off the map for a while yet

Back