Queuing overnight to purchase house

Thanks for the replies.

Pinkpather - I feel your pain! We are finally in positive equity, saving and ready to buy hopefully this year and I don't want to repeat the same mistakes. I feel like screaming any time I see people queing to buy tiny starter homes - "Beware, you've no idea how long you might be stuck in this starter home".

Cremagg - we are trying to focus on that point, we want a forever home now and are taking our time with looking around and hoping to find something that suits us, at the same time we don't want to make another expensive mistake but it's a tough balancing act!

Just to pick at some of the issues here....

It must be clear to everyone, that Estate Agents/Auctioneers/Sellers are the real villains in this mess we call a property market. These people inflate every house price, always pushing higher.

That's their job, their clients hire them to sell property for the best price possible. But to say they push prices higher is to fundamentally misunderstand how the market works. EA's don't set the price, that is set by the market, each sale price is set by the buyer. If you were selling a house, would you instruct your EA to sell it for a lot less than what the market was willing to pay?

Supply and Demand economics in the Irish property industry is a fairy tale.

That's complete nonsense. In the last 20 years our population has grown by 1.1 million. At our average household size of 2.7, that's a need for an additional 407k houses. When we're struggling to build 12k a year, there's very little on the supply side to meat that very real demand.

demand is artificially inflated

So who are these people buying houses that they don't need or use then?

What do you mean? I don't want to pay way over the odds for a property, I know if I don't intend on selling then it makes little difference. But I don't want a mortgage re-payment we can just afford and then see the house next door for sale in 5 years for significantly less/

What do you mean? I don't want to pay way over the odds for a property, I know if I don't intend on selling then it makes little difference. But I don't want a mortgage re-payment we can just afford and then see the house next door for sale in 5 years for significantly less/

Don't worry about that. It could also turn out that they pay considerably more. What you should focus on is your mortgage repayments. Can you afford to upgrade and still have a decent life. If so, go for it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back