Question about termination for Renovation

only intend to stay in the property for one night then you have to state that in the notice
Note: I stated that you and your golf clubs could stay in the property for one night a month & you have, somehow, managed to interpret that as "one night only!"

I see no cogent argument as to how your tenants could dispute the notice to quit where such notice is issued that owner requires property for their own use.

There's no reason to overthink this.

If I were moving back into a property which had been tenanted for a number of years, I would definitely want to do renovations. And in the current climate, that could easily take six months.

Last edited:
If I were moving back into a property which had been tenanted for a number of years, I would definitely want to do renovations. And in the current climate, that could easily take six months.
And if the departing tenant, for example, moved in across the road they could easily observe that the tenant actually never moved in. Or a friendly neighbour could keep them posted.

A case could be taken to the RTB for a false notice of termination and even the AGS for knowingly making a false statutory declaration.

The risk is not high here, but the law is the law.

And if the departing tenant, for example, moved in across the road they could easily observe that the tenant actually never moved in. Or a friendly neighbour could keep them posted.

A case could be taken to the RTB for a false notice of termination and even the AGS for knowingly making a false statutory declaration.

The risk is not high here, but the law is the law.
Piece of cake either way.

To misquote Keynes "When circumstances change, I change my plans. What do you do, sir?”

From RTB

When a landlord ends a tenancy for certain reasons (outlined below), they must offer the previous tenant(s) the option to re-let the property, where the property becomes available again under certain conditions. These specific reasons and their related conditions are outlined below:

• When the landlord wants to sell the property. In these instances, the landlord must offer the tenancy back to the previous tenant(s) if they do not enter into an agreement to sell the property within nine months from the expiry of the notice period.
  • When the landlord ends the tenancy because they require the property for their own use or family use. In these instances, the landlord must offer the property back to the previous tenant(s) if the property is vacated by the landlord or the family member and becomes available for re-let within 12 months from the expiry of the notice period.
  • When the landlord wants to significantly refurbish their property. The landlord must offer the tenancy back to the previous tenant(s) once the refurbishment works are complete.
  • When the landlord wants to change the use of the property. The landlord must offer the property back to the previous tenant(s) if the property becomes available for re-let within 12 months from the expiry of the notice period.

One last thing please - if he later decided to sell instead of re-letting, would he need to contact the RTB at that stage or is he finished with them once the tenants move out?
You only have to offer your previous tenants the option to re-let the property following the refurbishment if the property is available for re-letting.

If you decide to occupy the property yourself or sell the property following the refurbishment, that’s absolutely fine. There’s no need to notify your previous tenants or the RTB of that decision.

Back