question about Jobseeker’s allowance rate award

claddagh

Hi, querying for my 23 year old who applied for JA, lives in shared rental accommodation and has been self reliant since graduation a year ago.
has been awarded
Aged 18-24 and not living independently
rate.

Didn’t claim rent allowance as would have managed rent and food with the independent rate of pay, was also afraid landlord would kick out if not working. The house is prtb registered and can prove tenancy etc.

Appreciate if anyone could shed light on why someone living independently would be awarded the dependent rate and whether there is anything that can be done to appeal. living at home is not an option as very rural with no transport available and will hopefully get work soon as on a few panels. The initial form did also ask about the salaries of others in the house but i assume would be obvious that the housemates are not supporting!
hoping someone might be able to shed some light.

Thanks for reading!

thanks a million, feels nuts that not applying for rent supplement (they would qualify but afraid to involve landlord as a condition of lease was working tenants) which would cost the government a lot more on top of the 232 JA that they could live on, means they are now left with 15 euro a week after rent. I can see why folks get stuck in the welfare trap.
Looks like i will have to supplement with food packages. Hopefully short lived.
For anyone who spots this with teens thinking about college .. my one piece of advice is to make sure their degree has embedded work experience as without it it’s very hard to get jobs.

Back