Query re time on certificate of transfer of insurance to new car

maria mathew

Hello All, I bought a new car and I took insurance today in the morning.
I was driving the car at evening and I was not able to produce the insurance certificate to Garda at that moment since document was not generated. Garda has asked me to provide insurance document in next 10 days.
does garda need document in paper format as proof to keep ?is the time and date on your insurance certificate is a time and date that is earlier than when the Garda asked or told you to produce important

Last edited:
Hello Maria. It is very important that the time and date on your insurance certificate is a time and date that is earlier than when the Garda asked or told you to produce.
You need to advise the insurer of their mistake in the document and have them re-issue it to you with the correct time on it, in time for you to produce within the 10 days.

Hello Maria. It is very important that the time and date on your insurance certificate is a time and date that is earlier than when the Garda asked or told you to produce.
You need to advise the insurer of their mistake in the document and have them re-issue it to you with the correct time on it, in time for you to produce within the 10 days.
Thank you for your reply, i checked with them but they are not ready to change it.

Why were you driving the car uninsured?

I think you have to take this on the chin. Attempting to induce others to alter insurance documents after the fact is, I would imagine, a serious matter.

Can different time be issue here as they may think i bought the insurance after the time i was asked by garda ?
Which is more plausible:
  1. An insurance company with complex systems got the time wrong on the insurance certificate
  2. Motorist rang up in a panic to buy insurance after having been stopped driving without any

I wouldn't want to be arguing my case in the District Court here.

hello all, i was not driving unnuanced first of all. i called my insurance company and they mentioned that it was system fault as i provided them enough evidence. So they assured me i was covered while driving.

Last edited:
Try to recall whoever told you it was a system fault , and ask them to reissue the insurance certificate from the time you paid the charge, If you paid by credit or debit card the card company may be able to confirm the exact time of payment.
Otherwise I feel its a matter for your solicitor to sort out. Best wishes.

Did you purchase this policy online or over the phone?

As the insurer here have admitted making a mistake they should have no issue resolving it and correcting the certificate, it's not like there's a claim to be avoided. If they're not playing ball, seek the recording of the call where you agreed the cut-over date or they acknowledged their mistake.

hello all, i was not driving unnuanced first of all. i called my insurance company and they mentioned that it was system fault as i provided them enough evidence. So they assured me i was covered while driving.

This is good news. I advise take Leo's advice as posted above.
You are required to produce a valid insurance certificate by law, and your insurer is obliged to provide you with one that proves that it was valid at the time in question.
Make sure to prioritise getting the amended cert. As you only have 10 days from the date of demand to produce it.

No, they're not going to keep your original correspondence/documentation.

Correct. They will input the details on your certificate into the Garda computer system (PULSE) and return the original certificate to you.

If you didn't produce your driving licence to the Garda who stopped you you were likely required to produce it also. It too will be returned to you if you do need to produce it.

If the Garda who deals with your production does not offer you a production record receipt (there's no obligation to do so) I recommend you ask for the "production record number" and keep a note of it, along with a note of the date and time of your production.

Many (most?) motor insurance providers these days have online portals for customers to view and manage their policies. Does yours? If so, can't you download what you need from there?

Hello all, thank you your reply. I went to my insurance company's office directly and collected necessary docs as I told them the garda situation. I showed the paper to garda and he assured that he updated in system. I asked him if he can give me any receipt that i visited , but he said no to worry as he updated the system and said they do not give receipts. Is this normal ?

Yes, it is normal.
Some Garda members in some stations print off the production details page and give it to the producer, but there is no legal requirement that they do so.
Such Garda members are just being particularly helpful.
Did you ask for the production record number, as was suggested earlier?

Seems a lot of hassle, I have just changed cars. I phone the insurance company in the morning to arrange to change car for 4:30 so I could drive the old car to the garage and return with the new car, 3 days later I receive the certificate in the post .
In the meantime I had the receipt of purchase .
It can be changed on the phone or online for €25 extra

Back