Health Insurance Query re renewal of cover and ? going back to VHI

Xraylady

Myself and my husband are in our mid fifties with no health issues or pre existing conditions. We were with VHI Nurses plan up to last year but switched to Laya flex 250 explore as it seemed to have similar cover but cost less. I have been a bit uneasy though about my Laya cover. We had been with VHI for years before - Switching between plans C and B and then Nurses plan and always felt comfortable that I had particularly good cover with VHI - for some inexplicable reason...We were always with them, our parents were always with them - you know the story!
We are primarily interested in inpatient cover. We work in medical field and so GP, Physio or other day-to-day outpatient cover is not important for us.
We want cover for semi private in private hospitals and including the larger centres in Dublin, Mater P, Blackrock, Beacon, Santry Sports , Bons, Hermitage.
Regarding orthop vs ophthalmic cover, I would imagine we would be more likely to use orthopaedic - although you never know.
Would you have any suggestions for us for good cover? I've spoken to the companies by phone but remain perplexed...
We have one child and one student who we left with VHI as they offered the child and young adult cover.
Renewal 1/9/16 & pay annually

Xraylady,

VHI plans have 80% cover for orthopaedic surgery in private and hi-tech hospitals, but if you choose Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private, they
don't charge the 20% shortfall for this type of surgery.

Similar cover with VHI is as follows with lower excesses;
1. One Plan; price 1095pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, excess 125 for admissions and daycase.

2. PMI 37 13; price 1114pa; public,private and hi-tech hospital cover, excess 100 per admission and daycase.
[broken link removed]

Laya Flex 250 Explore is competitive on price at 949pa. There is no excess or shortfall payable for orthopaedic surgery in any private or hi-tech
hospital with laya plans. An alternative option with lower excesses is as follows;

1. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1087pa; public, private(including private room) and hi-tech hospital cover, excess 100 x 2 max per year, day case
excess 50. Good day to day included, the first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks so much Snowyb for comprehensive reply. There's plenty to consider there. 'Appreciate your help..

Just another quick question if you don't mind.
I am considering the Laya Simplicity - from the info you have given me.- the 80% cover for ortho & ophth admissions is putting me off the VHI plans. If we wanted to increase our cover from this, what would be a really good comprehensive private cover, without going quite as high as the old type D plans? I would just like to jump a bit to excellent comprehensive cover from this stage forward in our lives , seeing as we are currently lucky enough to be without 'existing conditions'.

Last edited:
Xraylady,

The next level of plan compared to your current plan, is one that covers a private room in a private hospital.
The cheapest VHI plan ticking that box is old Plan C, price 2879 per person. No excess on admission or day case.
The cheapest similar plan with Laya is 'Total Health Select', price 1837pa, with excellent day to day cover included.
Laya Simplicity plan is an identical type plan, price 1087pa, with a capped excess 100 x 2 max per year, including private room in a private hospital, good day to day cover included, first 100 not allowed.
Simplicity is a new corporate plan, since December 2015. Many people who were previously on Total Health Select switched to Simplicity plan.
It shows that a cheaper priced plan does not always mean less cover.

[broken link removed]

The majority of VHI plans have 80% orthopaedic cover in private or hi-tech hospitals.
The cheapest VHI plan with full orthopaedic cover is 'Health Access' price 1562. Excess per admission 125.
Similar plan with 75 euro excess, Plan B Excess; price 1709pa.
Similar plan with no excess is Plan B, price 1944pa.
[broken link removed]

80% orthopaedic and opthalmic cover does not have to be a negative, there is full cover for this surgery in both hi-tech hospitals Mater Private
and Blackrock Clinic. This is straight forward and above board, they waive any shortfalls on a range of surgery including these two.
Other private hospitals may charge the shortfall amount.

Regards, Snowyb

Back