Query about an employment right issue... re: career break

nelliebooks

Hi
I applied for a career break in order to go traveling - this was due to commence in a few weeks.
Unfortunately, I became ill a few weeks ago, and as I result I have had to cancel my trip.
I have actually been off sick from work for the past few weeks.
I requested from work in writing that I need to cancel the career break (with the view, in my mind that I would go back to work when I am recovered).
I got a reply from my direct boss saying that the career break has been processed and that my position has been filled.
I rang HR today and they said same and that they have a legal obligation to the new person they have employed. But my role in the organisation is not specific - and I know that they use agency as well to carry out duties I do so I am confused about how my role would be fulfilled.
Also, I said that there was nothing in the policy about withdrawing the request - and the reply I got was "well its difficult to cover everything in a policy".
She said she would talk to head of HR and get back to me.
But surely as I am permanent, they can do something to help me out - its not like I planned this. What are my rights or how will i go about this? I would like to gain some info before I speak to them again. thanks in advance

Last edited:
I don't see what else they can do.
Do you think they should get rid of someone on contract because you have changed your mind and no longer want to take a career break? Why you took it and what you planned to do it completely irrelevant.
Your position is unfortunate but you are being entirely unreasonable if you think you should be able to just change your mind.

It has cost your employer quite a bit of time/money to allow you this career break opportunity. If they now are to cancel the replacement's contract to take you back, it will cost them even more. If employees started getting rights to cancel career breaks, you can be sure that employers would stop offering them.

You have asked the question, if they can't accommodate your request, you need to accept that.

I'm with Purple and Leo here - Nelliebooks spun the dice, didn't win and now wants her money back. She requested a Career Break, got it, now doesn't want it. Think about the rights of the person who is replacing you. When your career break is over, you have your job back, your replaceent will probably be on the dole.

Back