Putting up a shower enclosure

Sarah

Can anyone advise on how to do this yourself. The power shower is innstalled and there is tiling done up the wall behind it. I have bought a shower enclosure to fit the tray ( 800 x 800) as the doors did not come as standard with the house. Are the enclosures easy enough to fit and is drilling into tiles a huge job/problem? Any advise,insturctions or information would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks again in advance!

Tonash,

Where did you buy if you dont mind me asking? Because at this stage it wouldnt surprise me if you moved in next door by the sounds of things.:) Just wondering...weird question i know but is your house full of spiders and mice?I keep being told new houses are full of these and im terrified!!

Ha ha! Imagine!!! I bought in Citywest.......and I havent seen a spider or mouse yet!! Spiders I can deal with, just about! But if I see a mouse I'll be back with mammy in a flash!!!!!!

Right so were miles away, i bought in Athy!Oh the joys of commuting! I have already roped in friends to complain about the train service! Thank god for no spiders and mice, im the opposite, mice i can handle spiders on the otherhand would have the whole neighbourhood awake and wishing i never moved in! Now if only someone could answer our question about the showers???

If you are drilling into tiles make sure you get a proper bit for the job. My advise DON'T use a masonary bit, get a special one for tiles/glass. I think there are about €7 for a 6mm, but well worth it rather than cracking a tile. Mark where you want to drill, cover it with a couple of strips of masking tape in an X fashion (in case bit slips) mark the masking tape, u'll be able to see the original mark but easier when holding the drill to have mark prominent on tape. Drill away! Best a luck with it.

Some stores will tell you a masonary bit will do fine but if u are a novice use the proper bit.

Just reread your question, you are going to need advise on sealing as well, not on as solid ground here but - I think ensure the lip of the enclosure is inside the tray so that any drops fall inside the shower and then silicone inside and out.

I've never had problems using a standard masonry bit, just make sure you mark the spot with tape to prevent the bit wandering as pator said, and DO NOT use the hammer action!!

The enclosure should have come with some basic instructions at least. Make sure to seal all joints with silicone sealant. Use your finger soaked in water with a little washing up liquid to smooth the bead if neccessary.
Leo

i also say get the special drill bit.....and before you start drilling, put the bit in the drill, put it where you want to drill and just rotate it around on the spot by moving the drill...you want to create a scratch or key on the surface so that the bit won't slip. Drill the holes...make sure you have the correct plugs....don't whack the plugs in you could crack the tiles...also, make sure you put in the screws straight..I have heard of people where the screw cracked the tile as the plug expanded.
Its about a 2 hour job taking everythign nice and easy. It recommends putting the silicone on the outside joint..I put mine on the inside to give a nicer finish. the outside of the frame I think should be at least 10mm from the edge of the tray....the instructions will tell you excatly how much. Make sure you get your level right to have the door straight to avoid any warping when closing.

Good point about the plugs, they should be pushed in behind the tiles to minimise the risk of cracking the tile.

Leo

I know you are looking to do this yourself but if its not working out you could ring a local handyman to do this for you.
If I remember correctly he charged €75 for his services to do this in our house a couple of years ago.

Should the tiles go in before the shower door or vice-versa?

Thanks for your replies, Carpenter. The shower has already been mounted and connected as part of the spec. before my private tiler has tiled it. What should I do here?

It's most unusual for a builder to supply let alone fit a shower enclosure in a new house, they don't wan't the hassle of potential leaks as a result of a poor fitting job. The proper way to do it would be to remove the shower enclosure (if you can without damage) and tile the splashback, then refit the door, reboring the fixing holes as necessary. As far as I can see that's the only way to guarantee a leak free shower, the junction of the shower enclosure with the tiling is the most vulnerable part of the whole assembly.

What I meant to say was the actual shower unit not the door has been mounted and plumbed in. Can it be tiled properly when this is in place?

You mean the shower itself...as in the Triton or Mira box. You're snookered trying to tile around it..you can block very important air vents etc if you do this. You will really have to remove the shower, cut the tile to allow all the services to come through, put up the tile and put the shower onto the tile.

Most showers will simply slide off when fixings are undone to allow for easy maintenance/ replacement of shower without affecting the plumbing, the connections for the pipes are usually push fit.

Back