Punishing Labour

Why punish Labour,
Had they NOT joined in 2011 with Fine Gael , they would have been abused as only wanting to look after their future vote.
Going into power they get hammered for the governments perceived unfairness.

I would think on the hand they were dealt in 2011 they get an A+ for keeping tabs on Fine Gael + 120,000 more jobs.

They seem to be taking the hit on Fine Gaels (promised) mantra of NEW style of government.
Things like the 100 euro bribe on water charges ,
the croneyism that seemed to follow the Mc Nulty affair,
not putting clear water twix themselves and Mr Lowry.
It appears Labour are being hammered for Fine Gaels drift to Fianna Fials, type of gombeenism ?

Go figure ???

That 100e bribe you mention came from the Dept of Environment which is headed up by who? Yes, Labour's Future Leader AK47.
The same Dept thats in charge of Housing.

Labour have been in charge of Education the past 5 years. They broke their pledge on College Fees early on.
They have done nothing to sort out school places especially in Dublin. In fact, they have cemented the 'old school tie' network in admission to elite private secondary schools (where a lot of them attended back in the day!)

And as for cronyism....you can remember back to McNulty but not to the more recent drama over David Begg!!!

I think you protest too much in your attempts to play Labour as some sort of innocent angels who couldn't fully tame the FG beast :)
Perhaps you are displaying your voting intentions!

Afternoon Delboy,

1. On my voting intentions, we ain,t got any labour candidate in Donegal.ps like your AK47 put down.
2. I take your point with your take on Water Charges bribe.
3. I think Begg had the undoubted skill set for that job ,and I also think any minister should be permitted to appoint when candidate is obviously suitable,
I think that's slightly different to lobbing someone (like mc Nulty) into a post just for the local profile.
4. I also agree Labour ditched too many pledges, so deserve the hammer.
5. Labour are far from {innocent angels} but from somewhere with no Labour candidate to (blame) all I see is more gombeenism from the lot of them !

I am the (original) floating voter.

Going to be an interesting election.

Begg was on the Central Bank Board during the Crash. He was on the Aerlingus Board as Ryanair continued to sky rocket past them.
How he was an 'ideal fit' as so many commentators claim for the role of Chair of the Pensions Authority is beyond me. I don't think he has any background or expertise in the area of Pensions that I can see

Begg was on the Central Bank Board during the Crash. He was on the Aerlingus Board as Ryanair continued to sky rocket past them.
How he was an 'ideal fit' as so many commentators claim for the role of Chair of the Pensions Authority is beyond me. I don't think he has any background or expertise in the area of Pensions that I can see
Don't forget about him being on the board of the ERSI when they were getting things wrong during the boom. Credit where credit is due!

Whoops !
Looks like Mr Begg has put bad Karma everywhere, can I sack him please?

Whoops !
Looks like Mr Begg has put bad Karma everywhere, can I sack him please?

He's in a Union. He can't be sacked. :D
In fairness to David Begg he's a smart man and very experienced. He's make it to any short list for this sort of appointment.

He's in a Union. He can't be sacked. :D
In fairness to David Begg he's a smart man and very experienced. He's make it to any short list for this sort of appointment.
Why? What does he know about Pensions apart from the fact that he probably has a few of them?

Delboy,
From memory, (dangerous), Begg was on a previous committee viewing pensions ,so on balance probably an ok appointment.
No matter who is in power I wouldn,t want all and every appointment being checked to the ninth degree, all that would do is stymie movement.
I think we can all see when any appointment is clearly gombeenism.eg I can think of appointment to BIM Bord Iascagh Mhara of a land locked co councillor etc !.

I do not think we want to permit ourselves to assume appointments are hookey.
I think we have to give all Parties a bit of slack. Otherwise we get caught up in interminable interviews etc.

I readily accept most parties have been their own authors of our mistrust.

Labour now at 4% and looking like they'll be lucky to hold on to 10 seats.
They don't deserve that sort of a hammering.

Back in 2011 , no-one would have allowed Labour NOT to go into coalition.
Back in 2011 no -one would have believed unemployment is now in 2016 below10%.

Now in 2016 we don,t view last 5 years as recovery ,more that we survived.
Now in 2016 we still expect recovery , and blame incumbents for leading us from a terrible place to the survival place.

In 2011 we were told Irl Incorporated was banjaxed.
In 2016 we are told )recovery?

Does not add up, so either .
1. We were not really banjaxed in 2011
or
2. We have not really recovered?

I think Labour in 2011 got the Fianna Fail vote .
In 2016 they will lose the Fianna Fail vote.

I don,t think that is fair , but that's politics, or maybe thats just voters?.

Labour now at 4% and looking like they'll be lucky to hold on to 10 seats.
They don't deserve that sort of a hammering.
I agree and compared to the plethora of muppets to the left of them, they're really are not a bad partner. In fact I am pleasantly surprised how well Labour have done in office.

Like I said in another post I will be voting Labour this time. I also pointed out that there were many in the Public Service felt screwed by the coalition (me being one) and Labour has been singled out for special treatment on polling day. In the local elections some time ago I did not vote Fine Gael or Labour mainly to use mine as a protest vote against what I believed was too austere a regime.

The whole country was burned by the austere acts of the government, but many PS workers believe they endured more than most. So they have been waiting to vent their anger. Labour is an easy target now, but let's face it, they set themselves up as stool-pigeons and are now prepared to be shot.

They position themselves on the left hand side of the moral high ground. That means they are held to a high standard by their voters. They are the party of the leftwing establishment and as such their voters are not just voting out of self interest. That means that they are exposed more than most to swings in political fortunes. In essence they are a Fianna Fail for the liberal urban rich who don’t like gombeen politics.

Exactly...they are FF for the Gombeens of Dublin! Of course those folk don't see themselves as 'Gombeens'
I made that very point to the Labour candidate in my area who called yesterday....he didn't get the connection :)

Exactly...they are FF for the Gombeens of Dublin! Of course those folk don't see themselves as 'Gombeens'
I made that very point to the Labour candidate in my area who called yesterday....he didn't get the connection :)
No, FF are the FF for the Gombeens of Dublin. The problem FF have is that the Gombeens of Dublin are also self-serving idiots and so will vote for AAA/PBP instead.

No, FF are the FF for the Gombeens of Dublin. The problem FF have is that the Gombeens of Dublin are also self-serving idiots and so will vote for AAA/PBP instead.

Just so long as they don't vote for the Greens.

The Greens.

They'll get my number 1, as they always do.

Every time I switch on my low energy low light bulb I curse Eamonn Ryan while waiting for it to warm up.

Every time I have to flush my small slimline cistern toilet I curse Trevor Sargent while waiting for the small slimline cistern to fill up again, because it needs to be flushed a second time because the capacity of my small slimline cistern is inadequate.

Every time I take the poorly washed dishes from my A rated dishwasher I curse the Greens who mandated energy efficient dishwashers that use less water and less electricity but wash less well than the old ones.

Every time I sit into my car I curse John Gormley who cost the state €200m in lost car tax by introducing incentives for cars with lower CO2 emissions, 6 months before the EU mandated them.

Every time I open my fridge I laugh out loud at all the greens who threw out their old CFC using fridges when the hole in the Ozone layer was fashionable. The poor fridge was doing no harm to the Ozone layer while it was working away in the kitchen, but when the dumb Green threw it out the CFC leaked out and made its way to the upper atmosphere and did its bit to degrade the Ozone layer.

Every time I have to flush my small slimline cistern toilet I curse Trevor Sargent while waiting for the small slimline cistern to fill up again, because it needs to be flushed a second time because the capacity of my small slimline cistern is inadequate.
They use water energy. A good thing for everyone. I manage to flush away the contents on the first go and I enjoy my food as much as the next glutton!

Every time I take the poorly washed dishes from my A rated dishwasher I curse the Greens who mandated energy efficient dishwashers that use less water and less electricity but wash less well than the old ones.
Buy better detergent.

Every time I sit into my car I curse John Gormley who cost the state €200m in lost car tax by introducing incentives for cars with lower CO2 emissions, 6 months before the EU mandated them.
That was a huge success, reducing emissions and reducing the amount of fuel we use as a nation. One of their finest hours.

Every time I open my fridge I laugh out loud at all the greens who threw out their old CFC using fridges when the hole in the Ozone layer was fashionable. The poor fridge was doing no harm to the Ozone layer while it was working away in the kitchen, but when the dumb Green threw it out the CFC leaked out and made its way to the upper atmosphere and did its bit to degrade the Ozone layer.
Your old fridge was recycled and the CFC was removed in an environmentally sustainable way... unless you broke the law and threw it in a dump yourself.

Back