Public Liability insurance

Wiggins

Hi,
We have a self catering apartment over our home that we rent out in the summer months. We had a small fire in the apartment 18 mths ago and made an insurance claim. Our insurer (FBD) made no major increase in premium on the renewal 6 mths after claim but the latest renewal document from them has much more than doubled our Public Liability premium.
Can someone point me in the right direction of an insurer or broker who may give us a quote as we are getting a lot of not interested responses?

perhaps, and it only a perhaps, at the time of the fire you did not have 'proper' Public Liability cover and that this is now rectified? PL on let properties can be higher given the higher risk and as a landlord you have a greater liability exposure to your tenants than a private householder would to the public?

The claim 18 months ago may not assist you in getting alternative quotes as many insurers do not want to take on people with a recent claims history and teh fact that the property is let will also bring an increase in premium

We had the "proper" insurance we want to shop around for alternative quotes. What other insurers/brokers other than FBD would give us a quote? Thanks

Hi,
We have a self catering apartment over our home that we rent out in the summer months. We had a small fire in the apartment 18 mths ago and made an insurance claim. Our insurer (FBD) made no major increase in premium on the renewal 6 mths after claim but the latest renewal document from them has much more than doubled our Public Liability premium.
Can someone point me in the right direction of an insurer or broker who may give us a quote as we are getting a lot of not interested responses?

May I suggest that you demand an explanation from FBD for the actual reason in the increase. I would want to be sure that they have not imposed a loading or the like. If they have imposed a loading or the like that may well be a material fact to be disclosed to other insurers from whom you are getting a quotation.

A fire should not affect the Public Liability section. As I said, perhaps you did not have full PL cover or perhaps there has been a huge increase. As Direct Devil has said, why not get an explanation from FBD?

Back