Pub charging entry fee

O

OhPinchy

My local boozer charged a €10 entry fee on Stephen's night. It was a ticket only job (you had to buy tickets in advance) as the demand was huge due to it being the only pub in the area open that night. Your ticket entitled you to one 'free' drink - e.g. a pint or a vodka and coke etc.

Regardless of any opinions on 'sure they're entitled to charge it if they were prepared to open that night' or 'sure if people are prepared to pay it thats their problem', I'd like to get a factual answer on whether this is legal or not.

In my view, this is illegal as it was a public house with a public license and cannot therefore charge an entry fee to members of the public (unlike private clubs/nightclubs). A publican is obliged under the terms of his license to open to the public a certain number of days a year. Most do not open on Stephen's Day, but this in no way as far as I know, means that those that do open can suddenly decide they'd like to charge the very public which have granted them their license.

The 'free' drinks issue doesn't wash with me on this one either - any member of the public is entitled to enter a public house without the obligation to purchase a drink.

Does anyone know if the above is legal or not, or where should I look to confirm this one way or the other?

I would be amazed if there is anything illegal in this. A huge chunk of the entertainment industry works on the premise that people are charged admission to venues where there is usually a licensed public bar. It would be bizarre if a disco promoter was forced to admit people for free just because there is a bar on the premises. I reckon the same goes for pubs. Of course in the current climate not many pubs are in a position to impose admission fees on customers.

huh?

Most pubs DO open on St. Stephen's Day, don't they?

Back