PTSB: Current Account : What about existing customers?

B

Big Maggie

Hi
Permanent TSB - The great news is that they offer the best current account terms around. (The IFSRA survey, plus mail shots from the bank themselves.) Except if you are a new customer. They don't tell you (unless you query it) that you don't automatically get the benefit of this new current account offering. You have to phone the hotline, they won't discuss it with you - if you are an existing customer, you have to call your branch. (very friendly staff on the hotline, offered to put me through to the branch etc. to be fair...) Got onto the Branch, Response : "yes you can switch, there is a form to be filled in. No, Sorry, we can't post the form. No Sorry the form is not available on the web, you have to call in to collect it." No matter that I work too, no matter that I might have to travel miles to get to a branch... I do no in-branch banking, I do it all on the web. Am I being unreasonable to be a bit pee'd off with this? Am I being cynical ?? I doubt it...

nope, when you consider that banks have done everything possible to keep people out of the branches (cos it suits them as it frees resources for other work and has the nice side effect of being handy for the customer) it doesn't sound like you're being too cynical at all to suggest that they are knowingly keeping existing customers in the dark, and making it difficult for those that do find out to avail of the offer.

Sounds weird.
I called my branch the other day about getting a laser card; they took my account details and said that they would look after the approval part of it. 4 days later the forms arrived in the post and all I had to do was sign and wait for their arrival.
As far as I know PTSB are very flexible when it comes to inquiries, i.e. you can ring any branch.

Re: ...

The great news is that they offer the best current account terms around. (The IFSRA survey, plus mail shots from the bank themselves.)

I thought that [broken link removed] was equal or marginally better on charges? Whatever about [broken link removed] reports I wouldn't necessarily take PTSB's advertising at face value given their track record (e.g. their previous false claims to offer the highest interest demand deposit account which lead to them pulling the advertising campaign on foot of several complaints by myself to IFSRA who eventually acted on the matter). As it happens I am a PTSB customer myself and don't pay any transaction charges by virtue of maintaining the required minimum cleared monthly/quarterly balance.

Back