ptsb confusion over free fees for those between 60 and 66

ocd dad

Just an update on this. I contacted bank and asked for fees to waived as per the conditions for fee waiver as outlined in section of the fee waiver removal faq document.

Took them a while to get an answer for me. But eventually they came back with the following.

I'm not entitled as the rules are I needed to be between 60 and 66 in 2018. Confusing or what

"If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are
eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account"

That is very interesting, thank you (ocd dad)
I wonder will this fee waiver apply if one joint holder meets the criteria.

I changed to the explore account last September.
Have only just read now that I could have remained on the old current account and had my fees waived as I am over 60 and have had that account since before 2018.
Will contact them on Tuesday, but I'm sure they'll say I should have read all the fine details before I switched

10. Are there any exemptions for senior citizens, students etc.?
Response: Full time secondary level or third level students in a CAO recognised institution can avail of our student account
option.
If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are
eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account.
Is it possible that PTSB created this new explore current account to avoid giving free banking to anyone that would qualify as over 60 and account opened before 13 Jan 2018. I would have been on such person in a short few years. As I switched, I must wait till age 66.

It would be very underhanded of them to be at this, though I have little trust in PTSB over what they did to people with trackers.

This is interesting as we too spotted this clause in the PTSB waiver guidance documentation as above
If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account." This is very clear in plain English.

So we qualify on age and as our personal current account was opened well before 2018, we wrote a couple of weeks ago to our local branch with evidence of age, copy of the relevant section and applied for this waiver.

I’ve received a call and email today from K******* , Senior Customer Experience Champion in which she said that the request was referred up to PTSB HQ and that they have now changed the wording in their online guidance to https://www.ptsb.ie/account-change/...re over 66,balance maintained in your account.

So it now says “If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account. This means the presence of an account holder who, from our records, is over 66 years old (or if you opened your account on or before 13 January 2018 and were 60 years or older at the time of opening the account). This exemption will remain in place as long as at least one account holder falls into the age category mentioned above.”

However both these statements above conflict and the retained text “If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account” can only mean one thing in plain English and that is that we qualify.

So they’re trying to add a qualifier to this now that you must also have been 60 when opening this account prior to 2018, so that in effect you’d be 66 now in 2024 and therefore automatically eligible. But my question is, can a financial institution just do this? Change the meaning of what's down in plain English?

My suspicion is It looks to us that PTSB changed the longstanding T&Cs that stated if you kept the account balance above €2500, that there would be free banking. But when doing this, PTSB realised that they had long standing customers who might change their banks and to mitigate the effects on those over 60, sensibly had this exemption for customers of long standing with this age profile. But are now trying to back track?? They also offered another type of account but we stayed deliberately on the old account.

If the above clause “If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account." holds true, then there could be a quite a cohort of PTSB customers aged 60-66 that should be getting free banking and due a refund on charges already taken??

Is it possible that PTSB created this new explore current account to avoid giving free banking to anyone that would qualify as over 60 and account opened before 13 Jan 2018. I would have been on such person in a short few years. As I switched, I must wait till age 66.

It would be very underhanded of them to be at this, though I have little trust in PTSB over what they did to people with trackers.
LOL. It's a bank, you know it's exactly what they are at.

Just an update on this. I contacted bank and asked for fees to waived as per the conditions for fee waiver as outlined in section of the fee waiver removal faq document.

Took them a while to get an answer for me. But eventually they came back with the following.

I'm not entitled as the rules are I needed to be between 60 and 66 in 2018. Confusing or what
If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account." This is very clear in plain English.

What PTSB appears to be now saying is

If you are over 66 years (or between 60 & 66 years if when your account was opened on or before 13th January 2018) you are eligible for fee and charge exemption regardless of the balance maintained in your account."

But can they do this? Change the T&Cs attached the old accounts?

Back