Provisional licence

bertson

Hi,
My wife is about to apply a first provisional license.

Does she need to do the theory test before hand? or is it just prior to a driving test that you need to do the theory test?

if so, is there a long waiting list for the theory test

Cheers
B

Yes she will have to do a theory test to get a provisional license. The waiting list isnt too bad, you can apply & pay on line.

hi bertson,

just as carina said you can apply online and pay with credit card if you wish. there is a number you can phone as well. There is a book theory test book, you can buy it in eason's she will need to learn the revelant pages. My advice would be make sure she knows the book inside out as i failed 1st time. You can look here for some more information. Hope she passes.

I would highly reccommend getting the CD ROM to compliment the Theory test book. It has loads of sample tests you can take that make learning easier than from the book. My fiancee studied for the test from the CD after reading the book once and passed. I think it is available to lend from most libraries.

Use the CD rom only in conjunction with the book as I did the CD Rom for my first test and failed by 4 questions as the four i failed on were not covered clearly in the CD Rom and a few others i know said the same,in fact when the guy in the theory test centre handed me my score i told him i knew the cd rom inside out and back to front and he said it wasnt all that good and id be better off studying the book, which i did and passed the second time with full marks!

Megan said:
why do you think you have to teach her - can she not read !!!

Perhaps, it might have crossed you mind I was talking about the 'learning to drive part'.

bertson said:
Perhaps, it might have crossed you mind I was talking about the 'learning to drive part'.

No it didnt cross my mind that the query was about actually learning to drive and from the other replies you have got it hasnt' crossed anybody else mind either as all the replies are about the thory test hense my reply. Good Luck to you wife.

Definitely get the book, it's about €13, as the CD doesn't cover all the questions - it's good to see the format though, tell her not to worry it's easy enough. You can only get 4 wrong though, any more and it's a fail.

I have to apply for my second provisional licence, I wear contact lenses - will I have to get an eye-test again, even though it states on my first provisional that I need lenses to drive?

S

hi,
Yes you have to appear for theory test to apply for first provisional license. And the waiting period is not that bad at all.
Just cleared my theory test on 21st of this month. Got 39/40, was aiming for 40 :) (was competing with my husband). I know where i went wrong, I should have reviewed it again. Both are applying for first provisional licence. Well this is how we prepared:

1. Read the book 'Rules of the Road' (u can get it from Eason, not all easons stock it, I got mine from one at O'Connell Street). (costs 2.50 euro)

2. I bought the book containing all the possible questions that can be asked, Read that only after reading and understanding 'Rules of the Road' thoroughly. (costs 16.49)

3. Then bought the CD and practised lot of tests. It is in the format of the actual test so you get used to the screen etc (don't remember how much it cost )

So i guess its worth buying all the material and going through it rather than having to appear again and spending another 35.60.

Everything is in Kilometers these days, so u get a copy of updated questions also if u buy the book of questions or the CD.

Good luck to your wife Bertson
Regards
Ruby

Back