Promoted but concerned about pay

pguyo

I am about to be promoted at work. Public Sector. I am currently on the 2nd LSI of my salary scale. Unless i am moved onto the 1st LSI of my new salary scale I will end up taking a paycut for promotion as the salary scales overlap. Can you be put on the 1st LSI salary even though I will have just started in the post. I will also be working 1.75 extra hours a week if i take this post and spending an extra 40 minutes a day commuting. Some promotion eh!

You have to satisfy yourself that you are happy with the situation. If you accept it, don't look backwards. I hope it's an actual promotion and not a voluntary one! (job title , more work, no extra salary) as happens in the public sector - particularly in the education sector.

Congratulations on your achievement!

Marion

You have to satisfy yourself that you are happy with the situation. If you accept it, don't look backwards. I hope it's an actual promotion and not a voluntary one! (job title, more work, no extra salary) as happens in the public sector - particularly in the education sector.

Congratulations on your achievement!

Marion

Thanks Marion,
I have worked hard for many many years for this promotion. I have no intention of looking backwards. Due to embargo I am now at the top of my salary scale which is the issue. I am due to receive a formal offer of appointment in the next week and my new salary has not been confirmed. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of this situation. I suspect I may have to wait until next week to find out.

I am about to be promoted at work. Public Sector. I am currently on the 2nd LSI of my salary scale. Unless i am moved onto the 1st LSI of my new salary scale I will end up taking a paycut for promotion as the salary scales overlap. Can you be put on the 1st LSI salary even though I will have just started in the post. I will also be working 1.75 extra hours a week if i take this post and spending an extra 40 minutes a day commuting. Some promotion eh!

Pguyo,
Congrats on your promotion. My understanding is that on promotion you are moved to a place on the new salary scale above where you are currently positioned. Commuting is another issue where you may just bite the bullet if you want the upgrade. Best of luck. D

Is there not a rule where you move to the nearest point to your current salary plus an additonal increment?

When you are in the Public Service and are promoted you cannot receive less wages per hour than before you were promoted.

1. No matter where you are on the increment scale (incl Long Service Increments) you have worked towards your next increment. This is called an Accrued Increment. Therefore, on promotion you would enter an "off point" on your new grade scale and would be given a different increment date for a few weeks/months to compensate you. On your new increment date you would arrive on the next actual point of scale.

or
2. There are quite some calculations on No.1 above. Many Departments just don't bother and will place you on the second next higher point of scale on your new grade and maintain your existing increment date or change it to the date of your new appointment. (Gordon Gekko pointed in this direction earlier).

No. 1 above is the old way and causes some concern in Personnel departments and the likliehood is that No. 2 now pertains. Whether or which there is not much difference in the actual increase of wages.

Back