Probate - Money not in name of deceased at date of death

Inkopslista

I am helping my wife with a personal probate application for the estate of her father.
The will is straightforward with the estate being divided equally between four children.

My question arises due to one particular bank account which was in the name of one of the children of the deceased at the date of his death. The amount in question is 50K. Just prior to his death he had asked that this money be transferred back into an account in his own name. Purely by coincidence the original account was closed on the date of his death and the money lodged to his account two days after his death. Therefore there will be no certificate of balance available showing this money in the name of the deceased at the date of his death.

Since the Revenue CA24 form and the probate office specifically require balances at the date of death, how would this money be declared?

This is my first post to the forum so I hope that I've explained the scenario clearly and appreciate any help or insight that anybody might be able to provide.

No you are not clear to me.

Fathers account A 50K.

Transfered to child account B solely?

Account A closed on date of father's death.

Money lodged from where to where. From account B to A - but it's a closed account?

I imagine you just put a note into the CA24 explaining what happened if the above is correct. And provide balance and transactions of the 50K in both accounts.

I'll try to clarify using your A and B accounts -

Child Account B contains 50K.
This account is closed on date of fathers death and funds transferred to Fathers Account A (the request to close this account was prior to this date, but just by coincidence actual closure happened on date of death).
50K appears in Fathers Account A 2 days later.
Account A is an open account.

Perhaps your suggestion is indeed the way to go.

You can show the €50000 in Q7 page 6 of the CA24 as money due to the estate of your late father in law. Or you can put it in page 8 of the CA24 as money in transit to his A/C & also in Q10 page 7. It must be included in part 4 of the CA24 as part of your father in laws estate.

We ended using your first option and showed the €50000 in Q7 page 6 of the CA24 (debts owing to the deceased) and the probate office were happy with this approach.
Your other options seem equally valid. Thanks for responding.

Back