Prize Bonds tracker function.

DirectDevil

It seems that the prize Bonds tracker function is going to be removed.
Is this correct ?

I know people who have their Prize Bonds holdings registered / saved to "Your saved Prize Bonds numbers".
All they have to do is to enter their user name / password and that checks all prize bonds winnings for their registered numbers.
They seem to suggest that you now input your numbers if you want to check them.
Have I got this wrong ?
What if you have a large number of bonds ?

Is this correct ?

I know people who have their Prize Bonds holdings registered / saved to "Your saved Prize Bonds numbers".
All they have to do is to enter their user name / password and that checks all prize bonds winnings for their registered numbers.
Have I got this wrong ?
I used to have a large number of PBs. But I bought them in two lots and these are in contiguous number ranges like AFD 800000 to AFD 810000. So it was easy to check if I was a winner.

Is this correct ?

Have I got this wrong ?
It’s disappointing that the are removing the tracker. It’s easy to use and very reliable.

You can register for State Savings Online and your prize bonds will be added to your profile. If you do this you will automatically receive an email notification for any prize wins. You can also use this online account to buy, view and sell prize bonds and to buy, view and sell other State Savings products. Selling/cashing is only possible for sole holdings. To sell any joint holdings you still have to use the paper forms.

Getting registered for State Savings Online takes a bit of effort but it’s worth it in the long run. Only other thing to be aware of is that the website falls over frequently.

Why they don't provide an app, with simple access to information and basic functions, is beyond me...

It's a disincentive to invest in prize bonds, for a notable part of the population, I'd think.

At the rate State Savings move you’re lucky they have a website. After all they didn’t get online functionality until 2020, about 20 years behind every other major consumer focussed financial institution.

State Savings online functionality is still quite limited with a lot of gaps. They would be better off improving this and sorting out the stability of the website rather than getting sidetracked with an App.

Why they don't provide an app, with simple access to information and basic functions, is beyond me...

It's a disincentive to invest in prize bonds, for a notable part of the population, I'd think.
they might be better off offering better products if they want to incentivise :)

I just got told by them that the reason I couldn't order 10k online was due to my Bank's daily limit. But I have a limit of 10k and had no other purchases today. So they tried online and said that was the reason again. But AIB said nothing came through to them to refuse.

Separately, they said the reason they allow sole people sell their bonds online, but not joint, was because of the "risk" of selling on behalf of the other person. (I thought you had nominated an account when buying...but not sure).

I just got told by them that the reason I couldn't order 10k online was due to my Bank's daily limit. But I have a limit of 10k and had no other purchases today. So they tried online and said that was the reason again. But AIB said nothing came through to them to refuse.
Not sure if you saw my response to a similar message you posted in the N26 Debit Card thread:

"The limits on AIB Debit Cards are stupidly low. There is both a daily limit and an inner transaction limit. As far as I remember these are €7,100 and €5,000 respectively. So if you are trying to purchase more than €5,000 you need to split it into daily chunks of €5,000 or get a bank draft and apply using a paper form" Or use a BOI debit card where the transaction and daily limit is €25,000

The €10,000 limit is the daily limit on SEPA transfers, which is irrelevant as you cannot buy PB using a SEPA transfer.
Separately, they said the reason they allow sole people sell their bonds online, but not joint, was because of the "risk" of selling on behalf of the other person. (I thought you had nominated an account when buying...but not sure).
That makes no sense. Each registered PB holder has an individual SSCN. It would be entirely feasible to allow the first of the joint holders to log on and initiate a sale, and the second holder to log on separately to approve the sale. Many financial institutions have implemented such solutions. State Savings are just too lazy and too useless to do it.

Last edited:
I have a very large bundle of prize bonds which came through the post for years after I had won on a Friday. Id like to cash them in. Does anyone know how I could do this?Thanks.

I have a very large bundle of prize bonds which came through the post for years after I had won on a Friday. Id like to cash them in. Does anyone know how I could do this?Thanks.

If you register online you can cash them in that way. I did it recently and it was a very quick process. They rang me to confirm some details before they sent the money to my BOI account. The money actually arrived quicker than another transfer I did between two of my BOI accounts at the same time!

@Magillagorilla

If you aren't already registered, the fastest way to get them repaid is to complete this form and send it by REGISTERED POST together with all your certificates, and a list of the certificate numbers showing the value of each cert and the total value.

If you want to register, go here and click on Begin Registration. Be warned that this will take at least two weeks, and another week or two to correct any bonds that State Savings fail/forget to add to your profile. You will have to do all that before you can use the online facility to cash in your bonds.

Registration is definitely the way to go long term, but if you aren't registered, filling in the repayment form and sending it off by registered post is probably your fastest option.

Back