Private vehicle classed as commerical

The Gardai don't enforce NCT cert. display afaik.

Afraid your wrong,look at any local newspapers and not having a valid nct cert ,saw person get €500 fine plus €300 for no tax,
Pick ups with rear seats are taxed as commercial but VRT was changed in 2003 to same rate as private vehicle

The NCT offence is only ever used as a filler offence. You will never see it on its own always as part of a no tax/insurnace combo.

Hi. I have got an insurance quote for my soon to arrive Toyota Hilux and it says I will be able to use it for social/domestic and pleasure purposes. So, I can use my commercial Hilux for work (carrying my goods) and private use. Is this thread ONLY talking about tax and not insurance? Thanks, Adrian

Rules changed in November 2005 to eliminate the loopholes described in this thread.

Light commercial vehicles must have the rear seats, rear seatbelts, and rear side windows removed, the mounting points must be welded over, and a flat load floor must be fitted which blocks the rear passenger footwell.

Crewcabs do qualify as a commercial for road tax, but must be used commercially. They used to qualify for the lowest rate of VRT, a flat rate of €50 per vehicle, but this has now changed and most now require a payment of 13.5% of the OSMP (Open Sale Market Price) of the vehicle here in Ireland.

Japnuts said:
Rules changed in November 2005 to eliminate the loopholes described in this thread.

Light commercial vehicles must have the rear seats, rear seatbelts, and rear side windows removed, the mounting points must be welded over, and a flat load floor must be fitted which blocks the rear passenger footwell.

Is there a link to this anywhere on the Government website or DOE website etc.

thanks
E

I dont think so, I had to obtain a written letter from the Central vehicle office in order to clarify the issue for our customers.

Here's an interesting quetion about crew cabs..... I am buying one so interesting to me anyway!

You buy a crew cab commercially via your comapny and claim the VAT back. But you use it for private use also and pay the 5% BIK as a result. Can you really claim the VAT back in this case as it's not only a company expense but a private vehicle too (by virtue of the fact you are paying the BIK proving you are using it personally). Thanks everyone. Adrian

Back