Previous Employer not handing over P45

bobo

Hi,
my previously employer is taking their time handing issuing me with my P45 (2 weeks). This is preventing me claim umemployment benefit in the meantime while I get another job. Does anybody know what rights I have if they dont bother hand it over. They said it'll be ready in a week and i don't believe them - is there any way that i can bypass them as they are unhelpful to deal with?

According to Oasis

"You are entitled to a P45 form when you leave work. If you experience any difficulty in obtaining a form P45 from your employer, you should notify the tax office."

According to the Revenue's guide for employers

"The Form P45 is a four-part form - Part 1 should be sent to the Revenue Commissioners and Parts 2,3and 4 given to the employee on their cessation date or with their final wages payment. It is an important form and is required by the employee for:​
-Refund of tax during unemployment
-Claiming Social Welfare benefits
-To give to their next employer"
[broken link removed]​

Have you received your last wages yet? If you have then definitely ring the tax office.​

If you have your last payslip meet with your local welfare office and pass that on to them, it should say that it was a final payment on termination of your employment.

Ring the Revenue Commissioners and explain to them that you have not yet received your P45.

If you are in financial hardship, meet with your local welfare officer and explain your situation. Each social welfare office has a fund for situations like this. See if you qualify for family income supplement until your unemployment benefit materialises

HTH

Back