Present/Gift for Confirmation ?

suicra05

My god child is making her confirmation in April. I have been asked to be her sponsor. Any suggestions as to what might be an appropriate present to buy her ?

From google:

[broken link removed]

17. What is the purpose of a Confirmation sponsor?
A Confirmation sponsor has the same duties as a baptismal godparent. The Church suggests that the baptismal godparent become the Confirmation sponsor, however, another sponsor may be chosen. A sponsor must be a good Catholic, already confirmed. (1311)

To the OP, I dont remember receiving a gift from my sponsor is that the done thing now? Maybe a nice book or something?

ClubMan said:
What is a confirmation sponsor? :confused:

Its the person who brings the child up to the altar to receive the sacrament of confimation (traditionally a godparent)....there is no 10km walk involved:p

I would suggest a piece of jewellery...maybe a watch or bracelet, engraved with the date of confirmation? My godmother bought my confirmation medal as my gift.

I don't even remember having a sponsor. Maybe that's why I didn't turn out to be a "good Catholic"?

If the sponsor is fulfilling a religious/spiritual role then perhaps some religious/spiritual rather than materialistic/consumerist orientated gift might be in order - e.g. a charitable donation, getting a mass said to gain plenary indulgences on their behalf or a venerated relic of some appropriate saint or something like that?

this is the person chosen by the young person making their confirmation (usually one of their godparents) : they go up to the altar with them to be anointed in chrism by the bishop/priest.
they have the same duties as the godparent during baptism.

The Universal Church specifies that a sponsor must:
• Have completed the sixteenth year of age.
• Be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
• Lead an active life of faith (e.g. weekly attendance at Sunday Mass, regular reception of the sacraments of the Eucharist and Reconciliation, etc.).
• Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.

Suicra, I remember that my sponsor got me a lovely gold necklace and I got a watch from my other godparent ..iI still have them and my confirmation was neither today nor yesterday!!! Saying that, these days maybe money is the more desired gift!

Last year my daughter made her confirmation. She has had two really good friends since she started school at age four. I didn't want to give them money but i did I want to give all three a suitable keepsake of what is a special day for anyone receiving confirmation. I chose a Willow Tree Angel. These are little ornaments that mark particular milestones in life. the one I chose is an Angel with arms outspread and a number of little blue doves on her shoulders and hands. I think it is called The Angel of Happiness. It is lovely and the girls concerned loved the piece. They come in around the €20 I think.

My daughter, when she was confirmed y-e-a-r-s ago, had my late sister for her sponsor. My sister knew a jewellery designer and got her to design a pendant with the initial of her name. She loved it, but as I say, it was years ago. Appreciation of quality seem to fluctuate between different things now.

Give her the gift of time - Take her out with you for day's shopping or a day's outing to something she is interested in.

Upstihaggity said:

this is the person chosen by the young person making their confirmation (usually one of their godparents) : they go up to the altar with them to be anointed in chrism by the bishop/priest.
they have the same duties as the godparent during baptism.

The Universal Church specifies that a sponsor must:
• Have completed the sixteenth year of age.
• Be a Catholic who has received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist.
• Lead an active life of faith (e.g. weekly attendance at Sunday Mass, regular reception of the sacraments of the Eucharist and Reconciliation, etc.).
• Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
[/FONT]​

My father was my sponsor. He was about as good a Catholic as I've become i.e. no interest, no real faith and definitely not leading an active life of faith.

LOL Janet.:D

Thats certainly unusual insofar as I'm aware.... but like I said ...things do change. For example, IN the UK it's considered strange for new parents to choose relations to be godparents to a new baby.... perhaps its different depending on the diocese/parish you are confirmed??!

Upstihaggity said:
LOL Janet.:D

Thats certainly unusual insofar as I'm aware.... but like I said ...things do change. For example, IN the UK it's considered strange for new parents to choose relations to be godparents to a new baby.... perhaps its different depending on the diocese/parish you are confirmed??!

Perhaps. Although it's a long time ago now - 1987, my goodness, how time does fly.

I sponsored my niece a few years ago, she's also my goddaughter. At that stage I was already losing my faith in the Catholic church (and in the religion) but my sister felt that I was still the person she would like to have taking part in her daughter's spiritual life as did my niece. Didn't have a problem with renewing the baptismal vows as part of the ceremony although didn't receive communion. I've moved totally out of the church now so wouldn't be happy to do so again.

With regard to the present, I too wanted to get something which would mark the occasion and not just give money. But have to admit I have no idea now what I ended up getting. Think it was probably a traditional confirmation medal on a chain and also one of those small good luck angels you see in the chemists sometimes.

My father was my sponsor and he wasn't a Catholic (though he was a Christian). My parents checked with the bishop (Bishop Comiskey) beforehand to see if this was ok and were told it was. This was back in the 1970s though... looks like the rules may have changed.

Well, there was another girl in my class whose dad was Jewish, and when she heard my dad had got permission, her parents asked whether her dad could be her sponsor... but the bishop said no, better not.

Back