Preloading your Credit Card before going on holidays

holidays or othwise I preload my card every so often . the one thing to remember though is that if you lose a card which is in credit, that such credit ( or preloaded amount) is NOT covered by the reporting of the loss of the card, only when the card is in debit are the cc providers liable. so if you lose a card on holidays, and the card is used to purchase xxxxx, then you lose any money you had in credit on that card. I agree with the poster who says that most people wouldn't spend €13,000 on holidays so I would be suspicious of such amounts being preloaded. definitely.
The terms and conditions of my PTSB VISA card have nothing at all about such limited liability on the part of the bank. Maybe this applies to some card agreements. I don't think that it necessarily applies to all though.

Re: Holiday Money Tips

I recently moved to bank of ireland and i notice on the banking 365 you can set up payments or transfers in advance so maybe that the way to go for me.

Came across this recently and used it very easily to transfer funds so that my CC was not carrying a large preloaded amount.

was speaking with somebody in Bank of Ireland Credit Card department about 6 months ago and they assured me that they had recently double-checked this with their Fraud department and in terms of being covered for fraud it is irrelevant if the card is preloaded with cash or not, you are covered.

So much for topping up your credit card.

I did so recently as going abroad and t/f money in.

When I returned I t/f a lot of the money back out again and was charged nearly 12 euro for the privilege.

Back