Pre 95 retiring with 30 years service

I'd be happy enough with 33€ a week from age 65 onwards. To clarify this is based on my getting a job for a week when I retire at 60 to switch statu.Then definitely pay the €500 voluntary contributions for the 5 years. I did have a few summer jobs when I was in college so maybe I have some additional class A stamps,have just requested a prsi record which will arrive in the next week . Thanks so much for doing the calculations for me etc. I can't rwally afford to pay more than 40k into AVC so that will only cover my lump sum

Those extra class A contributions and pre entry credits wil give your pension a boost.

People aged between 66 and 70 who have deferred their state pension will continue to be liable to pay Prsi.

S class, could I ask you if that means you have to have an entitlement to State Pension at 66 ie. You cannot use years 66-70 to hit the 520 basic requirement. I think that was my understanding from my enquiry. I have a brother returned from US at 59 and working for past 3 years,was gonna give up but if he could make 520 eventually he would continue part-time at least. He will hav 400 cons approx at 66,no credits. Has decent US pension but would continue working if something at end of it.Much obliged.

He can use years 66 to 70 to help him reach the 520 target.
If he works for 120 weeks beyond age 66 he will teach his target of 520.

He will get 25% of the state pension with 520 contributions.

He doesn't need to be able to qualify at age 66.

The ability to reach the 520 level beyond age 66 is one of the features of the new deferred pension scheme.

Anybody who doesn't qualify for the pension at age 66 has no choice but to continue to pay Prsi up to the age they qualify or if they cannot qualify, up to age 70.

Changes to Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI)​

From Department of Social Protection

Published on 12 December 2023

Last updated on 20 December 2023

From 1 January 2024, employees aged between 66 and 70 and born after 1 January 1958 will continue to be liable for PRSI until such time as they are awarded the State Pension (Contributory) or reach age 70.

Last edited:
Back