Pre-63 - good to buy or not?

AlastairSC

A property I'm interested in is pre-63 i.e. nothing has been done to it or no successful planning apps since then. It is a two-bedroom cottage on an acre in rural Ireland. Does this confer any advantage to me if I bought it, in terms of what I can do to it?

The only context I've heard this phrase mentioned before is in dividing up big old houses for renting.

No. Anything that would normally need planning approval will still need approval. It just means that the building itself didnt need planning permission because it was built prior to the coming into operation of the planning acts.

just ensure you get a surveyor to look around the place first

Thanks for those helpful comments. Passed it's survey with a few minor niggles. It was my solicitor who drew my attention to the fact that everything about the place (building, boundaries, septic tank, entrance etc) is pre 63.

If it doesn't mean anything why do houses in flats in Rathmines, for example, get advertised as "Pre-63"? It must mean something?

I think its to do with rental income and tax. There are probably people on this site who are doing this already.

Thanks for those helpful comments. Passed it's survey with a few minor niggles. It was my solicitor who drew my attention to the fact that everything about the place (building, boundaries, septic tank, entrance etc) is pre 63.

If it doesn't mean anything why do houses in flats in Rathmines, for example, get advertised as "Pre-63"? It must mean something?

I think it was split up into flats with out PP ?

I think it was split up into flats with out PP ?

That's correct. Basically you could do what you liked with the building, offices, flats or a mixture. If, however, you changed it to a family home, Pre 63 entitlements were lost.

Back