Possible Problem with wooden floors

huskerdu

Hi,
I have a solid wood floor (cherry) which was put down 5 month ago.
It is a old house and the floor was put on top of the old deal floor boards.

One of the doors has started snagging on the floor.
THere is no other evidence that the floor is warping.

I would have no problem removing the door and planing it, but I dont
know how concerned I should be, or if I should do anything else
to check if the floors are OK.

Any advice ?

If there's no visual evidence of the floor warping, I wouldn't be too worried. Humidity is pretty high at the moment, so all wood is prone to swelling. Plane a couple of mils from the door and keep an eye on it.
Leo

Leo said:
If there's no visual evidence of the floor warping, I wouldn't be too worried. Humidity is pretty high at the moment, so all wood is prone to swelling. Plane a couple of mils from the door and keep an eye on it.
Leo

Wouldn't rush to plane anything off the doors. What happens when the humidity goes down, you've planed a bit off your door, and then you're left with a gap that's abnormally big.

I don't have a solution, but you don't want to rush too hastily into something that cannot be undone.

I'm in the same position with new place and new floors. I've taken the door off the hinges for a while, and left it by the entrance. Give things a chance to settle down (humidity wise etc) and will then see if any planing needs to be done.

We had new floors laid recently and used rising butt hinges on the doors. As the doors open they raise up a quarter to a half an inch so they'll never rub along the floors.
As the hinges are made of 2 separate pieces, they are also quite handy in that the doors can be simply lifted off without the need of a screwdriver if you want an open plan effect - good for parties!!
Could only get steel rising butt hinges, but bought a can of gold spray paint and they look just like brass hinges now.

Back