Possible house purchase - poss. development

Cameo

I am thinking of moving and I am interested in a particular house.

Major drawback is I think the next door neighbour might at some point build a house in their back garden. The house next door is a corner house.

A house in the back garden would seriously overlook the garden of the house I'm interested in - desirable private garden is one of the main attractions of the house.

I have looked at aerial photos of the site and given building lines, outside space and access issues I don't see any problems with the next door neighbour getting planning should they look for it.

I am going to get an architect to look at site to see what their view is - tomorrow hopefully. I might also go to planning office for the area and ask them whether planning could be granted.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I might be able to determine the likelihood of someone getting planning to build a house at some future point?

We could risk it and hope that no one ever applies but it appears to me that just about everyone who can seems to be getting planning to build something if they have the space but we would much prefer to know in advance the chances of a house being built in the future. If the chances of building are high enough we will probably not pursue the house we're interesed in.

Any advice appreciated.

House is in Dublin.

I think that it is impossible to get a guarantee that at no time in the future will a house be built on the site.

you pays your money and you takes your chance!

Each local authority have published guidlines regarding these 'corner houses' with respect to access and back garden free space etc. Once these basics are in place approval seems inevitable despite objections. Check the local authority rules and see how it fits.

Back