Possible Eir email scam - phising

1dave123

Hi

I just got an email from eir telling me I'm due a refund. The email looks authentic but I strongly suspect it isn't. The email begins ... 'Your eir refund is now available to view at My Eir.

The email had a 'Login to my eir' link which I didn't click but through an alternate route I was able to get to the website where this link would have sent me (I was curious).

The fake Eir website looks identical to the real My Eir login screen .... and it did have a plausible url.

It has a log in screen where u input your Eir details. My suspicion is that the info you insert here will be captured and attempts may be made to use these details on other websites plus they will be able to access your previous phone bills etc if they use on the genuine website.

Anyway I'm posting here just to make people aware.

1. When I checked on the genuine eir website there was no refund showing.
2. I did pre-check the fake website for viruses/malware etc.

Cheers

I think the best way to deal with these is to assume that any unexpected email offering you anything is a scam, and proceed with that mentality. I have yet to receive any email telling me I was getting money back that wasnt nonsense.

I have yet to receive any email telling me I was getting money back that wasnt nonsense.

Exactly. Take a read through any of the threads on here where people have to go to extraordinary lengths to get money they are owed from various utilities, and understand anyone purporting to be a utility going out of their way to give you money back has to be a scam.

Back