Plumbing systems ?

Wolverine

Hi - Totally clueless.

Can someone advise or give a brief description of the different types of domestic plumbing systems, and the differences .

I heard
Unvented/ vented,
closed systems/open systems,
Pressurised/non

Do all these mean the same - are there 2 differnet types ?
House is being built at the moment. which are better ?

Q. Is one more costly to install over the other ?
I've heard pressurised is the way to go ?

I'm going with solar panels & Oil burner into a dual coil cylinder, and they solar crowd are recommending a "pressurised domestic hot water system - that enables high pressure, non-pumped, hotel quality showers often at close to zero running costs".

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wolverine.

There is nothing like "close to zero running costs". But it is cheaper to the end consumer to let the community pay for the pressure/pumping power.If you are connected to the public water system than call the local authoritys and check the min.water pressure in your area, better meassure it yourself.
"Closed" and "Vented" are two different pairs of shoes, the former beeing cheaper to install and to run, depending on the delivered quantity of water (pressure!). The pressurised (closed) system is the one with a future.

Thanks for the response Heinblood.

so the builder won't say something along the lines of "it'll cost you extra" when I ask him to install a pressurised system ?

Regards,
Wolverine

He might sense a chance to send in the apprentice learning something new and expecting you to pay for the lessons. But to a professional plumber there is no reason to charge you extra for the pressurised system. It would be less due to less work and material.One thing I came across here in Ireland is the shortcoming of choice for simple things like taps for the pressurised systems.The few that are available cost at least twice as much as on the continent and buying a pressurised toilet flush is extremely difficult. For pressurised sink taps and shower/bath taps check Aldi and Lidl , their prices are not exaggerated. The toilet flush you have to search for, Grohe is doing them for example.

Heinbloed is it not possible to use a standard ball cock in a cistern, replacing the standard low pressure valve seat with a high pressure seat? "Fluidmaster" (www.fluidmaster.com) do an excellent ball cock.

Why should one use a cystern in the first place ? It would mean cooling down the bath room ( with fresh cold water in an uninsulated cystern ) and than flushing down the stored energy (in the warmed up water). A cystern would mean mould at wall -behind the cystern- and mould spread from the spores of the fungus. Neither healthy nor nice to look at. Pressure flushes work , as the first poster mentioned it, as in the "hotel " . Similar to a spray can , press -and -deliver. Once the fire brigade has acccess to a hydrant, a pressurised water source, they would use it and safe on the (limited) tank. So the cystern would be the djungle shower for the loo , so to speak. Compareable to the solar camping showers made of a black water containing rubber bag under which one stands and enjoyes the warm water whilest standing in the sun.
All one needs for a pressurised water system is enough pressure and enough capacity. The pressure is defined by the " bars " (the meassured pressure) on the supply pipe and the capacity by the internal diameter of the supply pipe.

Back