Planning without an architect

Architectural Technicians are eligable for riai membership. ;)
A greater degree of an architects education is design based,
compared to the technician who will tend to be more technicial
hence the title.

I agree that a BSc in Arch Technology is not the equivalent of an Hons Degree in Architecture which is a five year degree. Thirty years ago there was no such thing as an Architectural Technologist - you had Architects and Draughtsmen. Over the last three decades the paralell professions of Architecture and Architectural Technology have evolved to the extent that most Architects nowadays spend their time on design work - primarily concerned with the appearance and aesthetics of buildings. Technologists are primarily concerned with the 'nuts and bolts' of how buildings go together - issues such as Building Regs Compliance, Construction detailing, Fire Safety, Performance etc. I believe it is now fair to say that if you have an Architect doing the latter he is now doing a Technologists job rather than vice versa.
I have heard the difference between the two professions described as ''An Architect needs to know enough about construction to design a building while a Technologist needs to know enough about design to construct a building.''
Engineering is further removed from either of the Architectural professions and certainly neither a Technologist or an Architect would qualify for membership of the I.E.I. By the same token an engineer could not qualify for membership of the R.I.A.I.
Both Engineers and Architects because the professions are longer established are better organised than Architectural Technologists but that could well change in the near future as the I.A.T.G.N. (Irish Architectural Technology Graduate Network) is in the throes of negotiatons with the Law Society, the R.I.A.I. and the C.I.A.T. in the U.K. (Chartered Insitute of Architectural Technologists) with a view to either an amalgamation or setting up a new institute.

an engineer with public liability signed off at the different stages for us. i think it cost about 200 euro each stage but that was a few years ago. If you are drawing down a mortgage from the bank they will require you to have the building 'signed off' at several stages, if you go to sell the house at a later stage you will also need to have this completed. if you do it now it saves the hassle later.

Having read all the posts on this subject it would seem that for my small amount of renovation work I could use an Architectural Technician - how would I contact one?

Having read all the posts on this subject it would seem that for my small amount of renovation work I could use an Architectural Technician - how would I contact one?
Right. Here's my phone number 087......... :D

Ask around or get out the yellow pages

Back