Planning Levies & Contributions €15k excessive? abolished next year? staged payments?

Yep, that's about the size of it.
And no you weren't misleading, I remembered that too :)

Councils are supposed to look after the roads, but car tax is paid into Central Government.
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown is getting fairly built up and the erosion of employment uses means rates income is falling.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Amendment to permission granted pre Jan 2010

Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a property that is in need of total refurbishment but has been granted planning permission for the refurb and 80 sqm extension pre 1st Jan 2010.

However, I was hoping to amend the planning to not include the extension but focus on the existing dwelling only. Development would require four new windows to the front and potentially a new roof. If there was no actual extension to the property, would this fall under the contribution levy?

Please excuse my lack of planning knowledge, first time buyer and new to all trimmings associated :)

Thanks,

MickyQ

The extent of the demolition work to the property (the roof in the particular) may mean you need permission, particularly if its in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown.
I was asked to clearly define that roof renewal work in an application following the near total demolition of another property which was being "extended".

At the very least you should discuss the matter with your local planning officer.
To be sure you could seek a Section 5 Declaration (€80 Fee + 4 weeks).

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi ONQ,

thank you very much for your response, hadn't realised there was a Section 5 available from the planning office. Given that this property is for sale with fpp granted, would the section 5 declaration suffice for the basis of amending the plans to not include an extension? I've found out that the original plans include a new roof to the existing property.

Kind Regards,

Michael

The section 5 Declaration is a means of getting a definitive from the local authority on whether something does or does not constitute exempted development.

From - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/sec0005.html

5.—(1) If any question arises as to what, in any particular case, is or is not development or is or is not exempted development within the meaning of this Act, any person may, on payment of the prescribed fee, request in writing from the relevant planning authority a declaration on that question, and that person shall provide to the planning authority any information necessary to enable the authority to make its decision on the matter.

In and of itself, it has no power to amend previously permitted plans.
It may offer clarity as to whether or not the omission of an extension would constitute development within the meaning of the act.

In your case the question to be asked is a different question, since what you're doing is the opposite of development, its leaving something out.

One question might be:

"If I chose to vary the permitted works, must this be ratified under the planning the development acts through the mechanism of a revised planning application?"

However, you could ask a totally different question.

List all the works you want to have carried out (minus the extension) and then ask -

"Does this constitute development under the planning and development act 2000 and in particular section 4(1)(h) or is it exempted development?"

If you have to seek permission, you could just get it for the works you want to do, omitting the extension.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

development contribution

Hi,
We are thinking of buying a 1900s cottage (not listed) that has many flat roof extensions that were added on pre-planning. They would not conform to any building regulations at all and are in need of knocking down and replacing.
The original cottage is about 550sq feet and the rest of the house extends to 1300 sq feet in total. We would plan to remove everything and rebuild but keep the original cottage (the 3 walls and open up back,with a new roof, internal insulation and dig down to put in insulation under original floor.
If we keep to original size will we have to pay a development contribution or would it be exempt because we are replacing something and restoring the original cottage. We would be looking to create a near passive house too.
I have seen planning applications where people may be replacing an existing extension and rebuilding to a bigger size and most ony seem to pay the difference from original size to proposed size. Any advice much appreciated.

original cottage area - ok
i was under the impression that the demoished area is not subtracted from the proposed new build area as regards contributions.
I commend you for wanting to restore the old cottage and for building to the passive standard.
I can only speculate that maybe the other applications only applied for/informed the planners that they were for instance changing the roof structure and therefore the msq demolish/new build fees are not applied..
what part of country are you in as this may effect the way the contributions are applied/ enforced?

Just to provide some comparison, i work in the south east of England and contributions for a 3 bed house are approximately 5k sterling (Local Authority I work for do it by number of bedrooms rather than sq/m), suppose it just shows that its still a "rip off republic" in Ireland!

Just to provide some comparison, i work in the south east of England and contributions for a 3 bed house are approximately 5k sterling (Local Authority I work for do it by number of bedrooms rather than sq/m), suppose it just shows that its still a "rip off republic" in Ireland!

The other side of that is that most households in the UK pay significant council tax on an annual basis to their local authority.

Back