Health Insurance Picking best value plan for the future

donalfff

Hi,

I'm currently with Irish Life (Plan Be Fit 2) and due for renewal.

As I'm now 60, want to hold at a minimum existing benefits but wonder whether it would be better to increase cover benefits on the basis the chances of my claiming in the future are going to increase with age.

Would appreciate recommendations?

Also in considering policies, which is better:

'80% cover for certain orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures'

or

'€2,000 co-payment on certain orthopaedic procedures'

thanks

Donal

donalfff,

Regarding 2000 co-payment vs 80% cover for certain orthopaedic procedures, I would be inclined to pick 80% cover, but with the intention of
having surgery in either Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private. Both of these hospitals are waiving shortfalls for this type of surgery. So in effect
there is 100% cover in these two hospitals.

However, I would recommend Laya healthcare plan 'Simplicity' price 1087pa as a good alternative to Be Fit 2 plan.
Laya healthcare fully cover orthopaedic surgery in all private and hi-tech hospitals, no excess + no shortfalls.
So if you had any other private hospitals in mind, full cover would apply.
Why pay 2000 co payment when you can choose a plan with full cover, for a similar price.

There is also a max excess per year of 100 x 2, regardless of the number of admissions per year to private or hi-tech hospitals.
Day case excess is 50 per visit.
Extra hi-tech cover included on this plan, good day to day cover - the first 100 not allowed. The overall savings on premium will compensate
for the 100 excess for day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Simplicity plan ticks all the boxes that you would need heading into your sixties.
If you were to upgrade, the next level plan would include full unlimited access cover to Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic, price 3107pa.
[broken link removed]

Hope this helps with your decision.

Snowyb

Back