Phibsboro

Kerrigan

Would anybody have any updated input into the Phibsboro area ie for investment purposes only please. I am looking at property between Primrose and Shamrock Street.

I am unsure of both these areas you mention but I do note that Phibsboro is losing it's appeal, well for me anyway. It's become quite run down. There seems to be lots of vacent properties so I would advise with caution.

Ideal area for rental once the DIT is up and running. New luas line will be passing a short walk away. Easy access to city centre. If I was investing I would be considering this area.

Anywhere close to Phibsboro Church will benefit from the new Luas line as there is a stop planned close to it.

There were plans to redevelop the shopping centre (badly needed). I'm not sure where these plans are now as they've been talked about a long time.

The area you are looking at is ok, a lot of that area is older settled people.

Generally a decent if not spectacular area. Tends to have a lot of transient people living there eg DCU, DIT students, workers from Mater and Mountjoy so plenty of people looking for accommodation.

This area locally is known as Broadstone. Pretty settled area walking distance from city centre. Lots of opportunity to rent as others have suggested. Is close to An Oige Youth Hostel which is in the building of the former Mountjoy Street School but I haven't every heard that that poses any problems.

Thanks guys.

A bidding war has started so I am no longer pursuing the said property but will keep an eye on similar.

Phibsboro is indeed run down around the awful shopping centre and Cabra Park (the slum property owned by the dismissed Garda Kevin Galvin was there). Like the rest of the city there also needs to be shop front legislation introduced as there is a lot of fly-by-night shops there.

On the plus side, the demolition of the shopping centre and replacement by something more aesthetically pleasing is a political priority, if not the political priority, in the area (the deal to take over Dalymount Park behind it and make a much larger centre fell through when the bubble burst). Once the Centre is gone, the whole area will have momentum. Additionally, some of the finest pubs in Dublin are there, including Porterhouse North, McGowan's (if you're young enough to be into going out) and The Gravediggers/Kavanaghs on Prospect Square in the Phibsboro side of Glasnevin. The Brian Ború/Hedigans and Smyths are also very solid, professional establishments. There are two massive GAA clubs in the area, Naomh Fionnbarra in Cabra and Na Fianna on Mobhi Road, as well as of course Bohemians' headquarters in Dalymount Park. The Botanic Gardens are a ten minute walk from Phibsboro Shopping Centre, while the Phoenix Park is a 20 minute walk in the other direction.

The area around Shandon Drive/Park/Road is the nicest residential part of Phibsboro, as a Google Streetview will confirm. Don't forget the Royal Canal goes right through the area making it a lovely place for walks and future redevelopment. Also, nobody has mentioned that the Luas North will go not only from Dublin city centre but from Grangegorman down Connacht Street to the Broombridge station in Cabra (where it will connect with the Iarnród Éireann line), making property in Phibsboro just a Luas trip for any student too lazy to walk. The transport links from this line will add to the investment value should you wish to rent it.

monk place is grand. Quiet etc.

As,for Phibsboro, the shopping centre is going ahead for redevelopment, and dalymount park is being redeveloped into. 10000 seater modern stadium. Luas line going in. Dit campus. Buy now or you will probably paying a premium in a few years. Whole place will be buzzing in 5 -6 years time. Mountjoy will probably go at some stage too.

Back