Pension Watch

It is easy to say the market is overvalued now (and is due a correction) but the real issue will be when to get back into the market.
That's why I said earlier that trying to time markets when one has some 20 plus year to go to retirement is likely a zero sum game. It can be easy to say that markets are overvalued from time to time but the real ability is timing the re-entry.

@Conan - yes I 100% accept this argument and this is why I have held to date. Reading the various comments on here today, one thing I have learned is the financially savvy people (or at least those who come across as such) don't try and time the market. Those who do time it one way, might be down to luck, but as you say how do you time the upside again !

Incidentally, what fund are you invested currently?

A bit of a mix and match if I am being honest, as it has been a bit of a consolidation of a few pension funds that I have had, and only now sitting down to properly sort out a strategy for the next say 5 years or so, with a 20-25 year outlook.

Its currently with New Ireland, and the split is roughly
- S&P500 Fund 35%
- Eurostoxx Fund 20%
- Trilogy Fund 15%
- Property Fund 5% *not actively paying into it currently - was a transfer in
- Innovator Fund - 12.5%
- Geared High Yield Fund - 12.5% *not actively paying into it currently - was a transfer in

One area I will be definitely dropping post review is the Innovator one... been the weakest link so time to leave :)

It's not about timing the market. Nobody can ever time the market perfectly and if they do, they are just lucky. However, there is nothing wrong with taking a more defensive or offensive outlook even if you have 20+ years to retirement. For example, many people believe and rightly so in my opinion that stock markets and bond yields are currently distorted by the huge amount of monetary easing by the various central banks so comparisons to historical valuations need to be treated with caution. Current valuations are not based on fundamentals. They are based on low interest rates and excess capital all chasing yield. That doesn't mean that stock markets won't continue to increase for the forseeable future but it does increase the risk of a major correction.

I am still investing in equities as I want the exposure but I have locked in most of the gains I have got over the past 5 years or so by moving a sizable percentage into a more defensive fund. Have I lost some upside gain? Yes, a small bit. But I am happy for the moment to have a good chunk of capital sitting on the sidelines (relatively speaking as still invested) . However, to be clear, I am not trying to time the market. I have lost some upside since I moved and I will lose some upside when I decide to buy back in because there is no chance of me being able to buy in at the exact bottom in but I am willing to do that.

Back