Pension refund demand

C

Caroline D

An elderly relative of mine retired from the HSE a number of years ago on health grounds. A number of years later when he had recovered in full, the HSE re-employed him on a part time basis. He has recently been informed that he should not have worked while receiving pension income. The HSE are demanding a refund of pension payments amounting to 110,000 euro. This is causing stress within the family as they were unaware of this situation. Is there anyone out there, with technical knowledge of the pension products within the HSE, who can advise on this case.

Hi Caroline
From reading through the HSE site (Benefits and Services) it would appear that maybe your relatives pension should have been reduced when he returned to part-time work.

See Question 15 in the Frequently Asked Questions
[broken link removed]

Thank you Ann for your reply. But as his refund demand is so high, and he was only or part time work, it seems huge by comparison to a reduction in the pension sum payment. I probably need to do the sums and work out what an equivilant officer would be earning in the intervening years. My relative however is retired for a very long time, I need to get the exact dates.

Back