Pay against mortgage or invest?

kibby

I have about €110k outstanding on my mortgage: if I were to put €30k into it would it make a significant dent in my repayments? Or should I stick that money away in a notice account?

I have about €110k outstanding on my mortgage: if I were to put €30k into it would it make a significant dent in my repayments? Or should I stick that money away in a notice account?
It depends - you could shorten the term of the mortgage significantly or reduce your outgoings, but on the other hand you may be able to get good deposit rates. Have a look at the mortgage calculator here http://www.jeacle.ie/mortgage/ to see what effects making a lump sum payment would have, and check the financial best buys forum to see what deposit rates might be available.

apart from the 30k have you any savings or emergency fund?
If it were me i would pay off the mortgage, shortening the term a little and start saving again. But only if i had a comfortable living.
the reasoning is, mortgage interest rates are rising so paying off mortgage seems a good idea and interest rates in general are rising so saving from scratch is not a as soul destroying as it has been in the last few years.

Back