passport washed

thombom

Hi guys.....

The brother in law left his passport in his jeans and they ended up getting washed with it in the pocket. We are heading of in 3 weeks time and I am just enquiring will it be excepted by the airline even though it was washed or is it a case of getting to the passport office in the morning.

It's difficult to say without having seen the passport. God help your brother in law if he has to go to the Passport Office, he's in for an experience.

If the hard plastic part That has the photo and biometric detail is not damaged and it looks somewhat presentable it should be ok.

Hi guys.....

The brother in law left his passport in his jeans and they ended up getting washed with it in the pocket. We are heading of in 3 weeks time and I am just enquiring will it be excepted by the airline even though it was washed or is it a case of getting to the passport office in the morning.

In case you didn't see this previous thread the Passport Office would appear to be operating by appointment only:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/passport-office-now-appointment-only.187835/

Thanks guys I think the best is to get a new passport, I'll get him to ring Aer Lingus first though and see what they say.

Where are you flying to? And with who? If it is the UK and not Ryanair then he does not need a passport.

It depends how bad it is. My son's passport was washed when only a few weeks old. The coat of arms disappeared from the front cover, and the cardboard cover split somewhat.
He travelled on it for the next 10 years, USA, Japan, all over. The only place he had queries was in China.

It's difficult to say without having seen the passport. God help your brother in law if he has to go to the Passport Office, he's in for an experience.

I had reason to go to the passport office in Dublin about 4 weeks ago. I didn't have an appointment. I arrived there on a Thursday at about 1pm. As luck would have it I found parking right outside the front door. Fearing the worst I fed the meter with a couple of hours of parking time. I shouldn't have bothered. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes - including the two minutes it took to negotiate the stairs and the 'take a number' ticket machine!

Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe the appointment system has eased the pressure caused by 'walk-ins' like myself ?

Hi guys.....

What does it look like? That's the salient point.

I had reason to go to the passport office in Dublin about 4 weeks ago. I didn't have an appointment. I arrived there on a Thursday at about 1pm. As luck would have it I found parking right outside the front door. Fearing the worst I fed the meter with a couple of hours of parking time. I shouldn't have bothered. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes - including the two minutes it took to negotiate the stairs and the 'take a number' ticket machine!

Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe the appointment system has eased the pressure caused by 'walk-ins' like myself ?

Not my experience last year. I just called in to renew my passport not knowing an appointment was necessary. There was no customer on the premises (repeat no customer on the premises). The receptionist directed me to a desk-top computer to make an appointment. This was 12.30pm and the earliest appointment available was for around 3.00pm. I was advised to stay and would be "called" asap. Still, I was the only person in the customer waiting area and in sight of the counter staff. One of them asked me if I was Mrs Somebody-or-other. All six foot of me weighting 17.5 stone informed her of my name. I didn't mention I was male of the species. Still I waited patiently.

Then some people late for their appointments arrived including one who had no appointment. The latter screamed and shouted and within seconds a supervisor directed her to one of the officials at the counter. There were other happenings too which I am not going into. Just let's say as a Public Service worker I was very disappointed with the treatment meeted out by other Public Service workers. Having waited over 3 hours and even with the booked appointment I was still late being called and if I can avoid it, I will never enter a Passport Office again. Pay the few bob to An Post for Passport Express, it's worth the money.

Last edited:
I put my last passport through the washing machine and used it for years. Unless the photo page is delaminating it should be fine.

Back