Passat opinions as a family car

CharlieC

Hi there

2 kids under 2 and all the associated paraphernalia. Have ruled out 4*4s and am considering 04 Passats 1.9 diesel.

1. Any experiences from current or previous owners
2. Are the boots big enough for cots- prams etc
3. Any other alternatives suggested

Thanks
CharlieC

The passat is a super family car, massive boot and certainly will fit all that goes with 2 childrenb/babies, the only thing to mention is that most have a lap belt in the middle at the back, so can't handle 3 car seats, and also try and avoid the 1.6, engine isn't sufficient for the size of the car if more than city driving.

Have the 1.8T petrol, powerful and great turn of speed, and gives the power of a 2L for insurance/tax of 1.8.

Boot in the Passat is plenty big for Buggies, but the opening space, as with all saloons is restricted, would you consider estate if you need a bigger opening?

I would suggest find one in a garage, bring you buggies and see if they fit.
Don’t have to buy that particular car!

Other Diesel cars worth looking at:
Octavia (comes as a hatchback has well as saloon!)
A4
3 series (boot is small in saloon)
Avensis (comes as a hatchback has well as saloon!)

I am on my third passat. Have a 2003 tdi Make sure you buy the TDI. The 130BHP version is the best with more power, quieter and better fuel economy than the 100bhp. 04 models have full belt and third headrest in the rear. Good luck.

cloughy,

just been toying with the idea of buying a passat myself the last while (not a new one). you say 1.6 isn't enough outside town. would you have any idea how the 1.6 petrol would weigh up against the diesel for insurance and tax costs? i've tried an on-line quote but when i put in either car they just say unable to quote, please telephone...etc... not looking for anything scientific, just a simple, 1.6 petrol generally cheaper/dearer than the diesel. thanks.

Thank you for the replies. Had no opportunity to test drive as yet. Also interested in the 1.6 route as Vlad mentioned.

i'm on my second passat now (brand new), had 2003 one previous - both 1.6 - don't understand what anyone is saying about there not being enough gas in the 1.6 - there's tons (unless you're in need of a good dose of acceleration - which I doubt with 2 kids on board).

There is tons of boot space for all of the associated rig - lots of room inside and it looks good too. With regards to the Octavia, a4, 3 series - none of them come close to the space in the passat. brother has an octavia, brother in law has an a4 and spacewise both in cabin and boot are much smaller. hatchback is good however in octavia. Superb would be equivalent size of the passat. Avensis is a good car (dad has one) but try the seat in top spec avensis and then sit into ComfortLine passat - no comparison - passat wins hands down.

I have a 130 bhp 2001 passat.

Go for the 6 speed with highline spec.

Touch wood I am very pleased with mine.

Plenty out there so don't buy the first one you see.

Loads of space great on fuel.

Loads of toys in the highline.

Any lass I have had in the car loved the heated seats.

Frank said:
Any lass I have had in the car loved the heated seats.

By Gor, I'll not tell the wife thats the reason I want a new Passat !:D

Have '03 1.9TDI, fine motor, couldnt fault it. At some stage will go for the new model - could be a while though. Agree that the 6 speed & wood interior looks the biz, the other versions look a bit plain in comparison. I do like the ex-rental rental notion (as my current one is) so might be hard to find that spec on an ex rental.

Point has been made here before that for the money that the top end models cost you could get basic BMW etc., or a super dooper Skoda for cheaper. A nice version of VW strikes a good middle ground - are you a pleb if you've a basic BMW, a wannabe?? Once you go into BMW/Merc/Jag land etc theres no going back and thats a big waste of money in my book.

Back