Part M & door step

10to1

I'm doing the paths around new house. Wondering whether not to bother with a sloping step to the front door. I know it's part of regs Part M and all but on a one off does it matter. Builder doesn't mind either way - I'd prefer not - engineer says it should be there but will sign off because all it has to be is "in substantial compliance" - nothing about complete compliance. Any thoughts anyone?

If you are planning on selling anytime soon, you may as well do this now when you are doing the paths, as this will be queried when any survey is done. I am surprised the engineer is prepared to sign off so readily on this. I would have thought either it should be there or not

How about putting the slope at a back door or a patio door? (if your objection is to having the slope at the front) surely this would ensure compliance too?

It's not a big deal to slope the path/ paving and incorporate a proprietary drain at the threshold so why not do it? It's the law and if you were to sell you could indeed have problems if/ when another surveyor spots such an omission. In any case a level threshold is useful for able bodied persons also (large deliveries like appliances, furniture etc) and even if you don't anticipate disabled visitors to your home you might have older visitors who would appreciate the level approach.

Thanks for your responses. Problem I have is there are a few different levels and the front door is the only option in which to comply because the toilet is off this same level. My front door is at the side of the house and I have a drive running down the side also.

Back