Parental Leave

rco2000

Could somebody please help me? My wife is currently on maternity leave for month os September(our first child just started school etc) - since her employer are not obliged to pay her for the month, is she entitled to any social welfare etc? please note we both are paye workers & are on the top tax rate.

Is she on maternity leave or parental leave ?

Parental leave is not paid, and never has been (unless you have a particularly generous employer) in Ireland.

Maternity leave includes (at whatever level) payment, either from Social Welfare or the employer.

It all depends on what leave she is actually on. If it is parental leave then the answer is no.

z

Zag,

As child is going to school, I assume its paternal.

Unless RCO has a highly developed child !!!!!

I did see the child going to school bit, but it is also possible that there is a new child in the picture as well - hence the question.

If it is pure and simply parental leave then again the answer is that there is no payment and no social welfare cover. This of course does not cover the situation where the unpaid period means there is a major, major drop in income resulting in hardship whereby Social Welfare may be involved, but for most people making a conscious decision to take parental leave there is no Social Welfare involvement.

z

Hi, been there done that,,,no no no!!! you get absolutely nothing-nada,,,sorry,,,L

Back