Outdoor Christmas Lights

random2011

I am thinking about putting some Xmas lights on some outdoor trees which are average in size . Anyone know where is best to pick these up - online preferably. Also I would prefer not to have to run power to the outside of the house as it would require getting someone in so I am wondering if solar power is the best/only way to go or would these simply not be good enough in terms of brightness and coverage. I can get an electrician if absolutely required.,

I think the solar power ones are pretty useless, good for small details maybe but don't stay lighting that long in dull days. Depends how far the trees are but I run all my fairy lights to outside out through windows and the window seal closes quite safely over the thin wire. Now I did have one set that had a big thick normal size flex so have an outdoor socket for that but the bulk of them have very thin wires. If the trees are too far away from the house that won't work obviously.

I think the solar power ones are pretty useless, good for small details maybe but don't stay lighting that long in dull days. Depends how far the trees are but I run all my fairy lights to outside out through windows and the window seal closes quite safely over the thin wire. Now I did have one set that had a big thick normal size flex so have an outdoor socket for that but the bulk of them have very thin wires. If the trees are too far away from the house that won't work obviously.

Yes that's what I thought with the solar power ones. The trees are about 10 ft from house so will need an external socket I think. Any suggestions on best place to purchase the lights (non solar)

10ft is not that far, I trail lights all around my garden and lots of them are more than 10 ft from doors/windows. Any of the outdoor sets have quite a good length before first light. Woodies/B&Q/Homestore etc all have loads, I have bought some in local hardware shops too. I'm afraid I must confess to fairylightitis, I love the things, I have well over 20 sets, afraid to count them at this stage!

If you were a little earlier, the likes of DX.com or Alibaba.com would be good sources for cheap lights, (very cheap, but variable quality means not as cheap as sticket price if you get a bad set). At this stage,Amazon or EBay are the best online bets. Lidl/ Aldi will no doubt have sets at some stage.

It'd be cheaper overall to get a proper outdoor socket installed than go the solar route. Most solar lights give a poor output, and the good ones are expensive.

Back