Ordering 'Red Bull' and being given 'Shark'

When I worked as a lounge boy, part of my job was to pour bottles of Boru Vodka into empty bottles of Smirnoff that were on display behind the bar. Also when tables were being cleared of empty glasses and bottles, any bottle that looked like it could be resold was recapped and put at the back of the fridge for resale later in the night. This is a very well known and popular pub.

They paid us a pittance. Clearly breaking all employment laws for 16 year old children. I would start at 5pm on a friday and be lucky to finish at 3am and start all over at 11am on saturday. We were allowed a 25 minute break which had to be taken between 7pm and 9pm, if it was too busy to take one, tough luck. More often than not the manager would make us stock the keg room at 3am while the older staff helped themself to the bar. We weren't even allowed a free can of coke, nor a cent towards a taxi.

I can only imagine how badly they must treat the foreign staff they employ now who are fearful of losing their jobs.

Why not report these deviants?

I was a naive kid who was grateful for a few quid so I didn't know any better. It would be pointless reporting them now, years after the incident as I can't say that this kind of behaviour still goes on there.

I was a naive kid who was grateful for a few quid so I didn't know any better. It would be pointless reporting them now, years after the incident as I can't say that this kind of behaviour still goes on there.

where was it? only asking as its long in the past.

Back