ordered online , now they say it's not available

Mam1996

I recently purchased a book box set from a well known book website but they cancelled it this morning and refunded my money. They said that they could no longer fulfil the order but when I checked the website it is still available.

I sent an email to enquire as to why this happened and they said that they had previously used another supplier and they couldn't fulfil the order for them so now they're using a new supplier and I'd have to buy at the new price (€307 as opposed to (€116).

I thought that as I'd paid and they had the set in stock that they would fulfil it, have I any chance to appeal this?

Try giving the CCPC a call, they'll be best placed to advise you.

I fear that the retailer can get away with this, but hope I'm wrong. Regardless, I'd name and shame them...

Competition and Consumer Protection Commission

Bloom House, Railway Street, Dublin 1, D01 C576

Tel +353 (0)1 402 5500

Consumer helpline 01 402 5555

An online contract is fulfilled when you receive the goods or sometimes when the goods have dispatched.

Your redress if they cannot fulfill the order is a refund of what you have paid.

This type of query comes up regularly - usually when there's a major price error, but its still the same in that the contract is not completed until the goods are transferred to you.

An online contract is fulfilled when you receive the goods or sometimes when the goods have dispatched.

Your redress if they cannot fulfill the order is a refund of what you have paid.

This type of query comes up regularly - usually when there's a major price error, but its still the same in that the contract is not completed until the goods are transferred to you.
'the contract is not completed until the goods are transferred to you.'

What is the basis for this. In general a contract requires consideration, usually the promise to do something i.e. send the books would be sufficient.

Am I entitled to receive something I ordered online but is since out of stock?​

I ordered a laptop online through an Irish retailer, but have since been notified by them that the laptop is out of stock. They have also told me they will not be getting it in stock again and have refunded my money but I don’t want this, I want the laptop.
When you bought the laptop you would have agreed to the terms and conditions of the website. These terms and conditions may state that a contract is not formed until the goods are dispatched or if there is an error on the website you will be refunded etc. You are entitled to a refund but there is no automatic entitlement to receive the laptop.

Back