Opinions re Pitman Training

aoc

I am thinking about doing the Exec P.A. Dip with Pitman after Xmas - it seems like a good course, and will give me exemptions for other dip's should i choose to go further with the training - However, i just want to know if i pay out this money what is the general opinion from prospective employers about Pitman? I have a lot of experience, but thought if i did this it would make me a more attractive prospect?????

I know someone who did a Pitman course, not your one, but they were impressed by the well run course and also got interviews from prospective employers as a result.

I did a computer diploma with Pitman years ago and was very impressed with it. I was able to study when i needed to. They were very flexible with regards doing additional qualifications as I had additional time left on my contract. I was able to work at my own pace and I found the tutors excellent. I wasn't really doing it to get a job, it was to give me a good basis in IT but I found it excellent. As a teacher I can get a bit frustrated when doing courses because if they're not well run or if the teaching is poor I want to stick a fork in my eye. I have to say this course was really well done. I was on very little money at the time but it was worth every penny. They also included a one day course at the end of the two years on how to put together a proper CV which was also excellent (external professional came in to give this course).

I did a short pitman course a few years ago and I wasn't that impressed with it. I was glad that I hadn't signed up for one of the more expensive courses and on the open night there was a lot of pressure to sign up to something as there were offers "only for that night". I didn't think that the content was great and I felt it moved too slowly for me. The pros were that you could study at your own pace but I would much prefer a typical online course where you can get online lectures etc and study from home.

I am also considering the PA course have you been able to get them to give you a price?

I was hoping for something online but they seem more focused on in house training which I am not sure will suit me.

At the time I did the course, all of the courses were running at approximately €3,200 - €3,500 but not sure if that's still the case. I opted for a cheaper course (medical terminology / medical audio typing) and that was around €800. I was unable to get a price online either, only on the open night where I was really given the hard sell.

I think there are better options and better qualifications out there for the amount of money involved.

Back