Opening a bank account while bankrupt

no_moolah

Hi guys

I was declared bankrupt over in the UK and came back to Ireland recently.

As I've gotten a part time job, I tried to open an account with Ulster Bank as I see many people on this forum recommended them for people who are bankrupt and unemployed etc.

I have just been told that my application was declined and when the branch manager appealed it they still declined it. They did not give me a reason why however they are aware of my situation so I can only presume it's because of that.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas where else I can go to open an account?

Thanks

NM

Have you tried your local credit union? Many CUs have full electronic banking now, so salary can be paid into your account electronically.

I have been advised that Permanent TSB in Raheny North Dublin, will open an account with a cash card.

Steve Thatcher

Ulster Bank refused my application for a bank account - even though I was able to provide bankruptcy discharge confirmation, had never banked with them before and was fully honest throughout. The account was the basic account - no cheque book, overdraft facility etc. Disappointed, as I'd read some AAM posters had been successful re. Ulster Bank, post discharge. It's difficult to move on with your life when opening a basic bank account proves impossible.

Ulster Bank refused my application for a bank account - even though I was able to provide bankruptcy discharge confirmation, had never banked with them before and was fully honest throughout. The account was the basic account - no cheque book, overdraft facility etc. Disappointed, as I'd read some AAM posters had been successful re. Ulster Bank, post discharge. It's difficult to move on with your life when opening a basic bank account proves impossible.
Strange one ?
If you are a discharged bankrupt bank need not know that ,can you go to another bank and open an account.

It's a question the bank now asks - besides, one's details are on the ICB - current address, previous addresses etc. for 6 years. In addition, one can't approach a bank that was a creditor in bankruptcy as one will be automatically refused. Bit of a nightmare really!!! I wonder do credit unions automatically run credit checks and even if they do, would they permit a discharged bankrupt to open a basic account.

Last edited:
Back