Opened post

Vanilla

So I got my bank statement this morning and it had been opened. Mr. Postman says he got it that way....

Obviously am rather unhappy! What to do?

The postal system in this country is a joke. I get lots of post that is opened at the corner (enough for a peek inside). I complained to the local office and they said it was caused by some sorting machine. I find it strange that the machine it more likely to open the corner of post that looks like it might be a birthday card than it is to bills. A couple of weeks ago I posted a letter in Dublin 2 and it took 10 days to get to Dublin 12. This can't be right, can it?

My envelope was opened all the way- and clearly had been opened by a person rather than being ripped by something. So much so, that I would be inclined to think it was delivered to the wrong address, that person opened it - quite possibly by mistake, and then gave it back to the P.O. Because if any one wanted to open it by stealth, they wouldnt have opened it the way they did. It wouldnt be the first time my post has been delivered elsewhere, nor the first time that it was opened by someone else ( except last time it was an invoice for a rather expensive software package, and the person who it was delivered to rang up the software company giving out, thinking it was a scam, before realising it wasnt even addressed to them- I only know cause the software company rang me to tell me- the original invoice was never passed on to me) and I have recieved other peoples post too- but I didnt open it! Mr. Postman told me they got it in the subpost office already opened from a bigger post office.

One thing that I've noticed in recent years (and unrelated to the alleged opening of envelopes mentioned above) is that the little plastic window on "official" envelopes is often torn slightly and it looks like An Post might have some sort of mechanical problem with their sorting equipment which causes this. Strange.

I rang An Post and apparently I am supposed to send the envelope to Customer Services in the GPO who will initiate an investigation. My only worry is that I don't want to cause any difficulty for my postman, as if it was HIS mistake, I would let it go- after all everyone makes mistakes.

I once worked in an office where they ordered cheap envelopes in bulk- they were self - gummed ones, and they had this little perforation line below the gum. Anyway they were so thin, that loads of them opened in the post, and a considerable number of clients got opened ( confidential ) letters in the post. Very bad.

Dearg Doom,

A couple of years ago we got 2 xmas cards posted to us - one posted in Newry on 16 Dec, the other posted in New York on 18 Dec. Both arrived in Monaghan on the same day - 31 Dec. Incidentally, they were not the only 2 cards we received that year!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
From Drogheda address with sorting office up the road it took 11 days to get one bog standard letter to me , about 8 miles away! The service is an absolute joke! And now they want 60c for a stamp?

I rarely use the standard post, where I can email and scan documents and email them, but businesses will be hit if this increase goes ahead!

Back