onlinetradesmen.ie - experiences?

I don't think tradesmen have changed their spots despite the downturn. I haven't used this website, but I'm still having the usual problems with tradesmen regardless of the downturn.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but a word of warning to anyone using this onlinetradesmen.ie. You cannot rely on the ratings posted by customers. I was badly let down by a tradesman recently and posted a poor rating for his company. My rating and comment has mysteriously disappeared three times now so they clearly only want positive ratings. You'd be better off relying on a word of mouth recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you where messed about by a member of onlinetradesmen send an email to the site and they will Investigate and remove the member if you are right.leaving a rating is very one sided as the tradesman cannot give his side of

I use them all the time and always have had positive experiences. You get 4 call backs so you get to choose the tradesman. I do find that the prices that the tradesmen charge vary hugely so it is worth getting quotes from all 4.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but a word of warning to anyone using this onlinetradesmen.ie. You cannot rely on the ratings posted by customers. I was badly let down by a tradesman recently and posted a poor rating for his company. My rating and comment has mysteriously disappeared three times now so they clearly only want positive ratings. You'd be better off relying on a word of mouth recommendation.

Again, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but just to echo this. Had a terrible experience with a tradesman off www.onlinetradesmen.ie recently.

I dont blame the onlinetradesmen site for the work, but when I reported it to them they suggested I left negative feedback for the tradesman involved so I did but after a week or so the negative comment was deleted. when I qeueried the site theyre saying it wasnt them who had removed it. Theyre the only ones who could have.

Again, Im not blaming the site for the work but if you cant leave negative feedback, the site and its references cant be trusted. Its an avoid for me.

I used one of these websites recently for a small plumbing job (changing the tap/shower fitting on a bath). This also meant tiling and sealing the side of the bath after the job was done. Two guys came to do the job (plus another small paint job). After they left I started to notice water appearing from under the saddle board at the doorway. Had to remove the side of the bath and tiles again in a hurry. Was stressed to the max because I'm in an apartment and was worried about those below me. Guy came back a few hours later after multiple phone calls and emails to try to get in touch with him. He had to bring a 'call-out' plumber who he didn't know because the guy who had done the job 'wasn't a real plumber and was out doing a DJ job'. At no point did he tell me that the other guy wasn't a real plumber. Anyhow the problem eventually got fixed with promises of a refund etc etc. To date have not seen a refund. Am just preparing my feedback for the site but my advice is to only use trades people who are recommended by someone you know who has used them.
Being a nice person I feel reluctant to damage the guys business by putting up a poor review but given he has ignored my request for a refund (that he suggested and promised), I'm ok with it now. I'd say a lot of people are reluctant to put up bad reviews and given the comments above, it seems like the comments get deleted anyway.
STEER CLEAR is my advice.

You'd be better off relying on a word of mouth recommendation.

No way would I take on a trade with anything other than word of mouth recommendation.

You would be better off throwing a dart at the ads in the Northside News and taking your chances with the one of the "tradesmen" that advertise there.

No way would I take on a trade with anything other than word of mouth recommendation.

You would be better off throwing a dart at the ads in the Northside News and taking your chances with the one of the "tradesmen" that advertise there.

You can't always get word of mouth recommendations for niche trades. For example, at the moment, I am struggling to get a decent roofer and do not know anyone who knows one.

I know this topic is a bit old, but would like to share my bad experience with . I found a builder through them to lay the drive and he made a mess which he refused to fix. I left negative feedback on the builder`s page, but it was removed by onlinetradesmen.ie. If you use them, do not go by feedback as they delete bad reviews.

As a trades person myself I was going to advertise with them. I think I might steer clear now.

i had the same problem with onlinetradesmen.com as well a few years ago, builder turned out to be a real chancer everything was No problem..until there was a problem, I got no satisfaction from the site either, I think its just an advertising site really.I live near Cork and the cowboy builder was from Middleton Co Cork,I wonder did anyone else have work done by this guy?

Pat

I am a recently self employed carpenter working in Dublin and I am considering joining one of these websites to find work, since finding out marketing is such an important part working for yourself. Its a catch 22 because there are genuine people who want to provide a good service, and there are also undesirables who can't find work because no one could possibly recommend them. Someone who has been self employed for a reasonable length of time and provides a quality service generally should not need to use these sites, although circumstances can change. Word of mouth is organic and slow when starting out!!!

Back