Online CC statement possibly altered

Finance

Hello Everyone,

I have a credit card (cc) with Avantmoney. Last week I noticed an ongoing charge on my statements from January 2023 right through to February 2024. I went back and looked at my original financial dealing with the company. I had received an invoice for an annual charge of 42.95. However, this charge was charged to my cc every month right through 2023 right up to now.

I queried it last week with Avantcard. They went in an had a look at my statements and agreed that there was an issue. I made contact with the company in question and they asked me to forward a copy of statements.

I only got around to doing that today. However when I went into my cc statements the charge had disappeared the whole year except in February 2023. I know that Avant can insert a dispute into your statement (which they have done in the past) which I thought was odd. They will input information on a dispute which is reflected on your online statements. This is telling me that staff can alter or adjust online statements. I asked them where the charges disappeared to and the person who took the call today was at a complete loss and said that they are not there.

I have no idea what's going on.

Has anyone on here got any idea and also has anybody every experienced this?

Regards

Finance

Have they altered the amount balance to reflect they didn't take the €42 accordingly as well or just removed transaction ?

Has anyone on here got any idea and also has anybody every experienced this?
It doesn’t surprise me with Avant.

I had a disputed payment that appeared on the app and was credited back to me after challenge. I think neither the payment nor the refund appeared at all on the pdf statement.

Have they altered the amount balance to reflect they didn't take the €42 accordingly as well or just removed transaction ?
At the moment I'm trying to get my head around it. I added up one statement last week as I was querying something else and that charge of 42.95 was included and it balanced out fine. When you go in and add up everything now, the balance seems fine. It's really confusing as myself and one of the staff members of Avant went through all the statements last week and she decided after seeing the overcharge to put it into dispute as I explained to her that it should just be a once off annual charge of 42.95 and not a subscription of 42.95 per month.

The dispute team contacted me via email looking for proof of the charge so I went in to get copies of the statements today and the charge is completely gone in all the statements except in February 2023. This one charge that is left on the statements is supposed to represent the annual charge of 42.95 ( the once off payment I paid) however the invoice I got from the company says payment was taken on 23rd of January 2023. They are not giving me any explanation as to why the lady in Avant last week agreed with me that there was an issue and she saw the charges as she went into my statements. I'm wondering if I can request a copy of the recorded phone call to verify what was discussed between me and the Avant agent.

Last edited:
I am not too clear what the problem is here.

Let's say that a retailer charges me €100 which they should not charge.
They refund it and I see a refund of €100 on the statement.

Is that any different from the original charge disappearing from the statement?

One advantage of it being deleted in the first place is that the balance would always be correct and if interest had been charged, it should have been reduced.

As an accountant, I would like to see the error and the error subsequently corrected, so that there is an audit trail.

But I can see why they might do it that way.

@Finance Have you lost out as a result of the way they have done it?

Brendan

One advantage of it being deleted in the first place is that the balance would always be correct and if interest had been charged, it should have been reduced.

As an accountant, I would like to see the error and the error subsequently corrected, so that there is an audit trail.
For audit and transparency, the transaction should never be deleted. It happened, instead as you say a refund of the charge can be applied.

Associated with each transaction there will be a display date and an accounting date.

So while the display date(what you see on the statement) would be different for the refund, the accounting date would be the same as the initial transaction so that charges would not apply.

I agree with Savvy. The charge should remain there in order to see what has happened on the account. Removing it is incorrect. I am trying to establish why they removed it especially when a staff member went through all the statements (which included incorrect charge) with me over the phone and agreed with me that there was an issue and she put it into dispute? Now, when I ring I get through to customer service they are saying that there is no trace of the charge.

Last edited:
Can you download a pdf of your credit card statement for each month? You will then be able to cross-reference with what appears online.

Can you download a pdf of your credit card statement for each month? You will then be able to cross-reference with what appears online.
Avant only provides a few weeks of transactions in the app. The rest are in the pdfs.

For audit and transparency, the transaction should never be deleted.
I’m in two minds on this. For example in event of fraud I’d rather it just disappeared entirely rather than having to explain to a mortgage provider (or spouse!) why €800 was spent in a dubious establishment in a foreign country and then reimbursed a week later.

It doesn’t surprise me with Avant.

I had a disputed payment that appeared on the app and was credited back to me after challenge. I think neither the payment nor the refund appeared at all on the pdf statement.
Dr. Strangelove my experience here is similar. But I don't have the app. There seems to be two types of statements on their online banking. A general online one (which is where I saw the charge) and there is the pdf one that you can download. I only realised that the pdf existed today and the charge certainly does not feature on the pdf. I'm not going to use the card going forward.
Someone is ringing me tomorrow from the bank so I'll see what they have to say. I'll ask them if it is possible that the charge incorrectly appeared on the online version (bank statement) as an error as it is not in the pdf statement. I'm also going to see if they could let me hear the phone records. Dr.Strangelove did anyone explain to you why the payment or refund did not appear on the PDF. To me that's a cause for concern.

Last edited:
Back