Old Age Pension Entitlement with a mixture of Contributions

suicra05

I retired in October 2021. I was 60 years old. Most of my career was in the public service where I obtained ‘D’contributions. After retirement from the public service in 2021 I worked for 2 weeks in private industry paying an 'A' contribution stamp. Firstly, my understanding was by working two weeks after retirement at 'A' contributions that I was entitled to convert some of my D contributions to A's. Is this correct?
Secondly I am signing on yearly for credits and they are giving me 'M' contributions. I have 240 ‘A’ contributions from a previous private sector employment.
Will I be entitled to an old age pension when I am 66 years old with a combination of A, D and M stamps?

You need a minimum of 260 full rate paid contributions to qualify for a pro rata pension. You are short by 20 contributions.

Do you have an ARF ? If so this can gain you extra paid contributions.
If you don't have an ARF you can either get 20 weeks of part time employment.
(You only need to work for at least 3 hours per week at minimum wage.)
Or you could make voluntary Prsi contributions for 1 year at a cost of 500 euro.

You are correct that you have gained extra credits as a result of working at class A after retiring from PS employment.

You are getting class A credits from your continuing signing on.
Keep signing on until age 66.

All of these credits are only counted if you reach the 260 paid contribution target.

You will be able to qualify for BP 65 if you get 13 weeks of employment in any calender year up to your 65th birthday.

If you were to work for 20 weeks in order to gain your shortfall of 20 Prsi paid contributions in any calender year up to age 65, you could achieve both of your targets from this employment period.

It might be possible for you to reach the 520 full rate paid contribution level in order to gain a larger pension.

You could make backdated voluntary Prsi payments back to the time you ceased class A employment. You might gain nearly 6 years up to age 66. If you can get an extra 280 paid contributions you hit your target.

This would cost you 3000 euro, but would gain you a larger pension. You would need to calculate how long the break even time would be.

With a bit of manoeuvring you could get a reasonable slice of the state pension and BP 65.

Last edited:
On reading one of your previous posts I see you have rental income.
If this is over 7500 euro per year it would prevent you from qualifing for BP 65.

You could however qualify for Jobseekers Benefit from age 65 to 66.
You would need class A employment for 26 weeks as in the link below to allow your rental income to be classed as subsidiary employment.

Back